Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: interview tips?  (Read 4944 times)

rohan

• View Profile
Re: interview tips?
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 01:56:26 PM »
One thing I want to make really clear, tho.. is that you need to follow the pattern of the interviewer. It's disappointing and annoying, but there are A LOT of really bad  and really strange interviewers out there. You'll find them in every field, they are not a particular beast of the legal field. What this means is that If you get an interviewer that only wants to drill you on your experience, then by all means .... sell your heart out on your skills and experience. Usually, in this scenario, the interviewer isn't really interested in the details (but give them). What he/she is trying to do is intimidate you or gauge your confidence and ability to assert yourself with people in positions of power over you. You want to play along with whatever style they have going. If you (still) have Anna Ivey's book for getting into LS, she has some brief sections on admissions interviews that I would say are very applicable to interviews in general. Check it out from the library if you've sold or ditched your copy.

CamelMan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 06:28:35 PM »
tag
This post will self-destruct in five, four, three, two....

rohan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 08:04:05 PM »
Another tip that I wanted to share (ya'll can tell me to sit down at some point).. be able to provide specific examples and be able to speak about these examples at length. This is very similar to the suggestion of using action oriented phrases for when you craft your resume. For example, rather than just saying "I am a hard worker, I'm a diligent proof reader, etc.." be able to support these statements with concrete examples. Give an example of you putting in tough work and seeing a project, rather multiple projects through, give a detailed answer on how you proof read. When you are practicing your interview answers (and you should practice, just don't give canned responses "... and people love me!" ) carry on a conversation with yourself about this particular example. A good time to do this is while your driving - and yes at first you might feel goofy. But what it will do for you in the long run is help you to speak comfortably about this example without your nervousness getting in the way of providing a great answer or additional fodder for a tangent that the interviewer starts on this subject. Think about the type of question you might be asked and start answering it in a conversation format -- like you're speaking with the parents of your BF (assuming a casual but respectful tone and you want to impress them a little without being arrogant). Get the basics of your response in a format that you can remember, say three elements,  but also, let your mind wander about some of the wider implications of your answer. You're bound to get some additional elements in your mind that you can discuss if the interviewer starts a long rambling tangent/conversation about your answer.

ok, my baby is pulling on power cords, gotta go!

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 08:50:14 AM »
Thanks for the advice, Rohan!
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

GG

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 10:12:38 AM »
Rohan

Thank you for the extremely helpful contributions. I am glad you liked the baby sitter example above and I fully agree with you when you stress the importance of people skills in the legal profession. In fact, I have been training law students and junior attorneys this side of the Pond about the importance of soft skills for a number of years now. I truly believe (and experience is proving me right) that the ability to deal with people effectively and politely (also known as “soft skills”) is for an attorney just as important as, if not more important than, technical skills. Most law students, however, still fail to understand this concept probably because law schools give them the idea that outstanding technical skills is all you need to become a successful attorney. How wrong this is.

If you give me your e-mail address, I would be very pleased to send you a complimentary copy of the new edition of my book, Soft Skills for Lawyers (www.chelseapublishing.com). I would be very interested to find out what you think about it. I have been practising as an attorney for almost 10 years myself.

Giuseppe

Orbits

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2008, 11:14:05 PM »
rohan, maybe you already stated this in one of your posts, but in what capacity do you interview lawyers? that is, what type of legal institution to you work for?