Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transfering options from 50-60 school...  (Read 820 times)

no name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Transfering options from 50-60 school...
« on: January 25, 2008, 08:04:54 PM »
So I have all my grades from the first semester and I think I'm top 15% in a T50-60 school.  Honestly, I like the school, love the people, love the area, so it wouldn't be the end of the world if I graduated from here.  However, if I was looking to transfer, which is something I am doing, what are my options?  Is T14 possible?

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Transfering options from 50-60 school...
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 08:18:15 PM »
I dont know about T14, but I think you have a realistic shot at GW.  They take on a huge transfer class and transfers do pretty well in OCI.  I know there is one other T25 school that takes big transfer classes, but I am not sure of the name at this point.  There is a transfer groups thing on yahoo that someone inevitably posts all the time when people ask about transferring.  It is probably your best resource and if you scan the boards of other people asking about transferring, it will probably help.  If I were in your position, I would apply to any school that I thought I would be happy at and see what happens.  Law school is completely random with respect to admissions.  Also, if you want a decent shot, you will have to keep your grades up next semester as well.  It becomes harder to maintain higher grades the second semester because many people figure out the art to taking exams or gain the motivation to put the effort needed in after their first semester.  Good luck though, and congrats on the grades.  Depending on what you want to do, I would strongly advise transferring as opportunities at tier twos are limited even with great grades.  I say this because several firms wont even interview students from outside the T14. 

no name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 11:59:43 AM »
Thank you so much.  I am definitely going to look into my transfering options.

I did look at the other threads (have been for the last two weeks, lol).  But just curious, what if I'm able to sneak my way into top 10%? 

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 12:09:16 PM »
I think it would improve your chances, but cant really say to what extent.  Again, I think you pretty much are in the position where you have to convince them to take you.  There are several great schools that you could definitely get into  with those numbers I would think.  Keep looking at the yahoo transfer group page as well.