Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: C student @ T3 ... what do I do?  (Read 4797 times)

craven

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: C student @ T3 ... what do I do?
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 10:09:40 AM »
I think we can assume that gratif isn't hoping for biglaw.  I think it would help us all out a little if we didn't all automatically assume that everyone going to law school wants to go to biglaw.  That said, OP, a lot of this depends on what your hopes are for post-graduation.  The working through school thing is fine if you're going to go work in your dad's firm, but if you're looking to get hired by someone, grades should be a priority.  Someone has to be at the bottom, but that someone doesn't necessarily get a job.  If that's your attitude, law may not be the profession for you.

Lloyd

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2008, 12:19:05 PM »
I'd recommend being an extern for something like a state judge who then can in turn give you a good recommendation for after graduation. This might also lead to a clerk position after graduation.

My other thought would be to try to extern for a government agency that interests you (e.g., DA, PD, etc) so as to begin making connections there and see if you like it or work for a small firm that may be willing to take you on after you pass the bar.

All of the above are pretty happy to get students to work for free/cheap regardless of grades and would be great networking opportunities. As the others mentioned, forget about BigLaw.

2.08 GPA. 

I'll be keeping my full scholarship, but I can't/won't finish at the top of the class.  Someone has to finish bottom.  If there are any non-1L-wannabe-law-review posters with some pragmatic advice that'd be great. 

My "big idea" was to take the summer courses so I would be able to work DURING 2L and 3L.  I have no idea what kind of work, what it entails, or if it would pay.

As for study abroad, I'm not going over there.  I'd have to pay for classes.

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 09:55:18 PM »
Yes, everyone does not want to do biglaw. 

I will say, as I went through a similar experience (except at a bottom tier 1 school) and once I started working in a law office and saw how the law was applied practically, my grades actually came up.  There is something powerful in working and learning at the same time--I think it actually improves your ability to do both well.

That being said, though my grades came up significantly--by the end of 2L I was performing at the class curve or better in almost every class--even got a handful of A's--its hard to dig yourself out of that hole.

I'm not saying that working is a good idea or a bad idea.  But in my case, it helped. I think its best if you find somewhere to work after 1L.  I have friends who work in DA/prosecutors offices that don't have the best grades but they picked up lots of practical experience by working and doing clinics.  I think that's probably the best way to make yourself marketable for a job after graduation.  Good luck.

I think we can assume that gratif isn't hoping for biglaw.  I think it would help us all out a little if we didn't all automatically assume that everyone going to law school wants to go to biglaw.  That said, OP, a lot of this depends on what your hopes are for post-graduation.  The working through school thing is fine if you're going to go work in your dad's firm, but if you're looking to get hired by someone, grades should be a priority.  Someone has to be at the bottom, but that someone doesn't necessarily get a job.  If that's your attitude, law may not be the profession for you.
smujd2007 is now an Attorney at Law!