Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: "2nd Semester Grades are Better..." How is this possible?  (Read 1957 times)

climbingstars34

• View Profile
    • Email
"2nd Semester Grades are Better..." How is this possible?
« on: January 24, 2008, 06:59:38 PM »
I'm always reading people's posts on here that say "second semesters grades are way better..."  How is this possible?  A curve is a curve right?  Same amount of people above, same amount of people below.  Am I missing something?

Lampshade Punk

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Even in the quietest moments."
    • View Profile
Re: "2nd Semester Grades are Better..." How is this possible?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 07:43:08 PM »
I'm always reading people's posts on here that say "second semesters grades are way better..."  How is this possible?  A curve is a curve right?  Same amount of people above, same amount of people below.  Am I missing something?

cheer up emo kid!

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 07:54:12 PM »
Well, you're obviously only hearing that from the ppl whose grades WERE better second semester (as opposed to those who stayed the same or went down).

My guess would be that even though it's the same people, the people who did poorly will buckle down and study more (or figure out what they did wrong, learn how to write exams better, etc.), and a lot of the people who did really well will get complacent and slack off ... hence changes in grades.

ssls1338

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 08:48:59 PM »
My grades were much worse second semester 1L.  I did the best ever first semester 2L. It is a yo yo

Alamo79

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 09:19:45 AM »
Well, you're obviously only hearing that from the ppl whose grades WERE better second semester (as opposed to those who stayed the same or went down).

My guess would be that even though it's the same people, the people who did poorly will buckle down and study more (or figure out what they did wrong, learn how to write exams better, etc.), and a lot of the people who did really well will get complacent and slack off ... hence changes in grades.

This sounds about right, with a few other variants:

-People who "get" the substantive law intuitively first semester may not be the same as those who get it second semester; e.g., at my school Torts is a 1st semester class, property 2nd semester--quite different modes of thinking required.
-People who do poorly 1st semester may say "screw it," enjoy life and not worry about their grades anymore.
-Virtually everybody is better at taking exams the 2nd time around than the first; it's hard not to be after that experience.

NATUREBOY

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 02:18:09 AM »
I definitely don't agree with that.  My class rank has gone down each and every semester.

GA-fan

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 10:51:52 AM »
My grades have stayed nearly the same every semester. My highest semester was .08 higher in GPA than my lowest. A lot of people have one bad class either first or second semester of 1L that drastically changes their GPA. For example, our class rankings were shook up pretty badly by a crim professor that gave a ton of C's 1st semester and a civ pro professor that gave a ton of C's 2nd semester. Most people who got a C didn't get a C in both, leading to a big turnover in who was in the top 1/3, etc.
Overall, you should try to put consistent effort in for both semesters, but realize that grades are to some degree arbitrary- you get a final that matches what you've studied, have people in your class who work harder 2nd semester, or you get a cold during study week. All of these can make a full letter grade difference on a final.
Try to do better, work hard, but don't believe the hype.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 06:50:08 PM »

Many schools have easier grading curves for second semester, and then even easier for 2L.
A lot of schools try to do their weeding during first semester.

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 05:12:27 PM »

Many schools have easier grading curves for second semester, and then even easier for 2L.
A lot of schools try to do their weeding during first semester.

What schools do this for second semster of 1L? Do you have some examples?

My school has a set curve for all of 3 years. The only variation is for classes under 35 people in 2L and 3L year. And even then, its a pretty strict curve.

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 05:44:30 PM »
Same here.  The same mandatory curve for all classes of 40 or more.  No curving for smaller classes.
Michigan Law Class of 2010