Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: JAG -- Army/Navy?  (Read 27030 times)

uart

JAG -- Army/Navy?
« on: January 23, 2008, 12:05:49 AM »
Is anyone here knowledgeable about JAG Corps stuff? I have a few questions...

1) Is it a good idea to pursue a 1L internship with Army/Navy JAG?
2) Are there any significant differences (other than the obvious) between being an Army JAG vs. Navy JAG?
3) What do JAG recruiters normally look for?
4) After completing your service commitment, what are the job opportunities like?

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: JAG -- Army/Navy?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 01:04:26 AM »
Is anyone here knowledgeable about JAG Corps stuff? I have a few questions...

1) Is it a good idea to pursue a 1L internship with Army/Navy JAG?
2) Are there any significant differences (other than the obvious) between being an Army JAG vs. Navy JAG?
3) What do JAG recruiters normally look for?
4) After completing your service commitment, what are the job opportunities like?

1. It can be a great idea depending on your options and goals. If you are curious about serving in a legal office at a fort/station or want to get a permanent active duty offer, would be great.

2. I'm not sure what "other than the obvious" distinctions you could be curious about. There are obvious massive quality of life/practice/doctrinal differences.

3. They are not as concerned with GPA/journals as law firms might be. Desire to serve, willingness to deploy, etc, all are likely important.

4. Depends on what you focus on. Navy has farmed out most of their non-criminal work, so the odds of you doing civil work as a civilian are lower. Going US Atty or some other federal agency would be easier.
Litigation firms may love the trial experience but that would be tempered in that you likely will not be doing very sophisticated work.

Air Force JAG Corps

uart

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 01:09:25 AM »
4. Depends on what you focus on. Navy has farmed out most of their non-criminal work, so the odds of you doing civil work as a civilian are lower. Going US Atty or some other federal agency would be easier.
Litigation firms may love the trial experience but that would be tempered in that you likely will not be doing very sophisticated work.

I met a partner at Holland + Knight over the break who went from Navy JAG into private practice with the firm. Specializing in maritime (obviously?) law.

I'm going to cross my fingers and hope to get into one of the summer programs so I can see it first hand.

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 12:09:42 PM »
Any reason you are not considering Air Force?
Air Force JAG Corps

uart

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 03:45:27 PM »
I suppose not any good reason.

I was under the impression that Air Force JAG had a different way of running internship/recruiting than Army/Navy.

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 08:00:51 PM »
Well, I spent my 2L summer in the summer clerkship program with AF JAG. I was picked up by the Direct Appointment Board in August and will be going active duty once I graduate/pass the bar. Feel free to PM me if you would want to talk Air Force.
Air Force JAG Corps

afer1500

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - alexfiu1331
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 08:54:46 PM »
Well, I spent my 2L summer in the summer clerkship program with AF JAG. I was picked up by the Direct Appointment Board in August and will be going active duty once I graduate/pass the bar. Feel free to PM me if you would want to talk Air Force.

If you can...

Talk to me about boot camp, pay, and likelyhood of seeing any kind of combat.

afer1500

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - alexfiu1331
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 08:24:55 AM »
Awesome info...

I doubt the army/AF/Navy want me charging any hills. I think I can make a great lawyer for them but a lousy infantry man. Now if the AF wants to let me fly Million dollar airplanes...who am I to argue!?!?! ;D

MCB

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 04:49:24 PM »
I have OCIs with both navy and marine JAG this Tuesday.  The only info. I really have available to me regarding what these jobs truly entail is whatever I can find on the internet, so hearing about anyone else's firsthand experience would be wonderful.  Any general info. or tips would be greatly appreciated! 
USD 2L

Giraldo

• View Profile
    • Email
JAG -- Vision Restrictions
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 04:07:39 PM »
SOMEBODY HELP!!:  I'm was about to apply to the JAG office and I was getting very excited about the idea of being an attorney and serving my country at the same time, but then I saw the vision restrictions.  I was hoping you or somebody you know can tell me realistically what chances I have of being selected (assuming my interview goes well/they like what they see professionally and personally).  The answer is not online. I have looked at all of the documents.  I need somebody to tell me if a condition like mine is ever waived (it's under the "waivable" list but I have never heard of anybody being waived--I've known 1 person being rejected because of it but that was 9 yrs ago) or maybe it is, but I shouldn't get my hopes up.  I just really want to prepare myself.  Also, can I increase my chances of being selected if I get lasik/pkr surgery or does it not matter considering my pre-operative prescription is so high (this is also unclear on the website and falls under the "waivable" category).  Please contact me. I would really appreciate some insight.  PS: My prescription is -10, both eyes, correctable to 20/20 in one and 20/40 in other eye w/contacts