Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Include class rank and % in resume?  (Read 12888 times)

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Include class rank and % in resume?
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2008, 12:26:23 PM »
In my opinion, career services offices should not set "policies" for students to follow in the job search. We don't pay them to govern us. In any event, I would not put a class rank on a resume unless it was very good (or if the employer requires it).

Because when their students are shady, it makes the school looks bad with employers?  And if employers get a couple of shady associates from the school, they don't go back there anymore?  Maybe you don't pay them to govern YOU, but I pay them to keep your shady ass in line.

And they probably haven't "told" you about the "policies" because they probably expected you to just read them yourself on the website.  Usually it's somewhere under a heading like "RULES AND POLICIES."

Fascist.

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2008, 12:32:33 PM »
Yeah, whatever.

afer1500

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - alexfiu1331
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2008, 04:11:52 PM »
As an initial matter, the others are right and you should check before you include something that the school didnt give to you.  At most schools at least a couple students will drop out in disgust or leave for other reasons after 1st semester.  If and when that happens, you'll be 34 in a class of 132 or 133 and 26% wont be accurate anymore. 

That being said, I'd put a percentage in if I could, and only for the stupidest reason - somehow I think 1/3 instictively comes to mind you look at 34/133 quickly and dont take a second to do the math in your head. 

Regardless, "Top 26%" screams retarded.  I think "26th Percentile" is maybe a better way of expressing it.

I pretty much took this advice. The 34/133 takes into account the students who dropped out after 1st semester. I decided to just put top 30% and my class rank. In doing this I don't scream tool to such a huge degree than if I had put top 26%. I appreciate all the advice ppl...

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2008, 10:57:31 AM »
I don't intend to lie I just wanted to confirm what I should put in my resume

You should ask your Career Services Office that question, not a bunch of students at different schools with different policies and standards.
For instance, at my school, you put your GPA followed by your class percentage rank, and there are very specific rules about your formatting to avoid "puffing".
I doubt that's going to help you.