Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Alternatives to Barbri....?  (Read 2641 times)

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Alternatives to Barbri....?
« on: January 22, 2008, 03:31:35 PM »
quick question: i'm interested (though now wavering) in taking the barbri review course for ny. however, i will most likely take "home study" course as i will be living with my parents while i study and they are located in an area where the lecture is not given. i discovered today that that the home study course adds an additional *1500* dollar fee onto the already hefty price tag (~3g) for the barbri course. granted, my firm is paying for the course but 1) i dont feel all that comfortable asking them for an additional 1500 just so i can study at home, and 2) the fee itself strikes me as absurd as really all they do is provide the lectures in mp3 format (where as the normal "lectures" are video lectures watched on some 15 year old TV with poor audio [if my mpre experience was indicative]) - in other words, i don't like getting screwed.

does anyone know of a viable alternative to the barbri review course for the NY Bar that doesn't hit you with such mind numbingly absurd fees for home study? if not, has anyone had the experience of asking their firm for the additional 1500 so that they could take the home study? any tips on how that should go?

much thanks in advance

nybartutor

• Bar Exam Tutor in New York
    • View Profile
Re: Alternatives to Barbri....?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 07:39:29 PM »
If you're looking to save money, you could buy the books, and study on your own. I know, that's not often the path taken, but really, it's not a bad choice, especially if you're opinion of the class is that most people get screwed by having to watch the lectures on TV. (I agree.)

Get yourself the BarBri Conviser, and learn as much as time permits. That book covers both state law and MBE. It also covers the distinctions between the two which is important to know for the state law essays (which will sometimes test MBE subjects, but expect you to know the distinctions). Apply the law by practicing old exams which have been released by the Board of Law Examiners (You can find nearly ten years of these exams online). Don't waste your time looking at essays prepared by BarBri, go to the real exams which are the most indicative of what you'll see on your test.

Get the PMBR red and blue books to practice applying MBE law to multiple choice questions. Do the few thousand questions that the book provides.

Give yourself plenty of time to learn the material, and this should be sufficient. Of course, if your firm is paying for your review, you may just want to take the course because the course has worked for quite a few people. But, in my opinion, self-study is an alternative.
--Sean

Tutoring available for both the MBE and NY essay portion of the exam.  Tutoring is available online (using Instant Messenger or Skype) and in person (NYC only). Please contact ssiver0210@hotmail.com if you have any questions, or for more information.

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 10:17:42 AM »
much thanks for the helpful info!!

sir_scott

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 03:07:00 PM »
micromashbar.com

It is a self study bar course.  I think it is cheaper than BarBri.  I don't know anything about it - other than a friend used it last July, liked it, and passed the CA bar exam.