Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: taking two preps; waste of time?  (Read 1809 times)

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
taking two preps; waste of time?
« on: January 22, 2008, 02:22:11 PM »
I am already taking Barbri in order to prep for the bar exam.  Would it be a superfluous waste of time and money to also take Kaplan 3-day or six-day MBE course?

If not, what would you advise about the possibility of taking the Kaplan PMBR in February, taking Barbri in May-Jul and the July Bar exam?

Thanks.

nybartutor

• Bar Exam Tutor in New York
    • View Profile
Re: taking two preps; waste of time?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 05:45:05 PM »
It might be a waste of time to take the class, but I don't think it would hurt to try and get a hold of the PMBR red and blue books for extra MBE prep. (EBAY, etc.) BarBri will prepare you very well for the state portion of the exam, but PMBR specializes in the Multistate, and their questions tend to be very difficult which is good preparation for the actual exam.
--Sean

Tutoring available for both the MBE and NY essay portion of the exam.  Tutoring is available online (using Instant Messenger or Skype) and in person (NYC only). Please contact ssiver0210@hotmail.com if you have any questions, or for more information.

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 10:59:53 AM »
It depends on how you learn and where your strengths are. How good are you at the MBE subjects? Are you better at self-study or lecture?

If you're fairly confident on the MBE subjects and/or good at self-study, consider getting the PMBR red and blue books.

If, instead, you do better in a lecture situation and/or you're not as proficient at the MBE topics, consider one or both of the PMBR lectures. The 6-day occurs before BarBri and gives a fairly broad overview of all topics. The 3-day is later in the study cycle and is more fine tuning and test techniques on what you should already know by that point.

If you're taking the July bar unless you really think you're going to study from Feb. to July, I'd just look at the July courses.

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 11:07:09 PM »
I would get the Kaplan PMBR CD's and listen to them right now, if you really feel like you need to study now.

I took both PMBR and BarBri, and there were still things on the bar exam that I didn't feel comfortable with.
However, I do feel like what I did know was accentuated by these courses, and the courses taught strategies for guessing on unknown questions, which I am sure saved me. 

Taking both courses will give you confidence, and you will need it.   
smujd2007 is now an Attorney at Law!