Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 4.16 at a T25  (Read 2951 times)

1L80

• View Profile
4.16 at a T25
« on: January 20, 2008, 06:34:29 PM »
Hey guys, would appreciate any information that could be made available.

I've never really intended to transfer (never really thought about it before and am very happy at my current school) but I am just curious as to what my options are. I go to a school ranked within the Top 25 and got straight A's first semester, with +'s my average is currently sitting at 4.16. I am curious what my chances would be at some T14 schools, particularly Columbia, Gtown, UVA, Duke and NYU. Also would I have any shot at Yale, Harvard or Stanford? Obviously I know its only one semester and that I need to perform strongly this semester as well, but I am just curious and would like to see if it's an option worth exploring.

Thanks for any help/information you guys could provide!

lalalander

• View Profile
Re: 4.16 at a T25
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 06:48:26 PM »
Awesome. Shoot for Yale, you're certain to have your choice of at least Harvard, Columbia, and NYU with those grades. Yale and Stanford you will probably be in, just make sure you get some good letters of recommendations, apply as soon as possible, and you should be in. Congrats!

What did you do to study for such grades? When did you start studying?

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 07:10:41 PM »
I have friends with slightly lower grades (at a top 25) that got into yale, harvard, nyu, penn, g-town, etc.   Id say you have a decent shot at any of the t14 you are interested in.  I would study more this next semester as grades often drop after the first semester as more people start to figure things out a little more.  Yale may not happen.  They emphasize the fact that you had to have been able to get in their first, but my friends couldnt have with their scores.  anyway, good luck and congrats.

1L80

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 09:15:32 PM »
Thank you both for the response. One more quick question, I'm assuming one files transfer applications after second semester grades are recieved - sometime early during the summer?

lalalander, as for your question:

I didn't miss much class and did my best to keep up with the readings. I really only started studying for exams a couple of weeks beforehand when I outlined my courses and studied fairly hard. I did my best to tailor my preparation and exam taking to what I (apparently correctly) assumed each individual professor was looking for in the exam answers. The honest answer, (and with the the risk of appearing highly conceited) is that I am extremely, extremely intelligent. For a myriad of reasons, however, before law school I never really applied myself. Everything now is clicking into place for me and I feel like I was born to be a lawyer: the way my brain works and analyzes problems is very suited for this kind of work. I was not a gunner and was fairly quiet in class. I doubt most people ever considered me to be a threat curve-wise and I just sort of plugged along. I was not in a study group and did use some prep materials for the exams. If you have any other questions I would be more than happy to answer them!

Thanks again guys.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 09:25:08 PM »
hey, not sure on the dates.  I know the decisions come out at the end of the summer, and I think that the applications are due early to mid summer.  I wouldnt be surprised if they are due before second semester grades come out.  I mean, you wont get a decision till after you turn in your transcript, but I would bet you have to get it out soon after classes end so they can process stuff.  If you are going to do G-town, I would apply EA just because it couldnt hurt.  I am assuming that is due soon as I believe decisions are reached and mailed before second semester finals.  Check the dates for everything early though.  With grades like that, it would suck to miss out because you missed the date.

3Loser

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 03:57:42 PM »
Thank you both for the response. One more quick question, I'm assuming one files transfer The honest answer, (and with the the risk of appearing highly conceited) is that I am extremely, extremely intelligent. For a myriad of reasons, however, before law school I never really applied myself. Everything now is clicking into place for me and I feel like I was born to be a lawyer: the way my brain works and analyzes problems is very suited for this kind of work. I was not a gunner and was fairly quiet in class. I doubt most people ever considered me to be a threat curve-wise and I just sort of plugged along. I was not in a study group and did use some prep materials for the exams. If you have any other questions I would be more than happy to answer them!

Thanks again guys.

This shows your ignorance. Simply because you do well in law school does not mean you are "extremely, extremely intelligent." It simply means you took those professors exams well that day. That is not to say you did not accomplish anything; clearly straight As is a great accomplishment. But, you, like many other arrogant students, assume that success in law school equals (1) intelligence and (2) is a result of hard work. Success in law school requires neither of those two things. Instead, it requires you to understand how to approach an exam. If you can do that, all you have to do is study black-letter law. Keep yourself in perspective.

brightline

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 10:54:04 PM »
Drop the arrogance.

Now realize that first semester performance doesn't necessarily mean you'll repeat it second semester. The reason is 1st semester, most 1Ls are absolutely clueless. After a bunch of them get crummy grades 1st semester they wake up. They start using supplements and quit briefing cases, and they prepare for exams sooner and better. Your competition will be stiffer this semester, so don't get ahead of yourself.

My advice: apply to GULC EA. Don't slack off. If your 2nd semester performance is also good, apply to some top 10, top 5 schools and see what happens.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 10:56:15 PM »
even with only average second semester grades, its should average out enough to give you a great shot at a t5-10.  be proud of yourself for doing well.  A+'s take a lot more then just hard work.  yea, it gets harder next semester, but you shouldnt drop that much.

KC#11

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 11:30:38 PM »
Drop the arrogance.

Now realize that first semester performance doesn't necessarily mean you'll repeat it second semester. The reason is 1st semester, most 1Ls are absolutely clueless. After a bunch of them get crummy grades 1st semester they wake up. They start using supplements and quit briefing cases, and they prepare for exams sooner and better. Your competition will be stiffer this semester, so don't get ahead of yourself.

My advice: apply to GULC EA. Don't slack off. If your 2nd semester performance is also good, apply to some top 10, top 5 schools and see what happens.

This statement falls along a long line of things I've been told from the beginning re: law school. Anecdotally, NONE of these things are true.

1) Your LSAT predicts your performance. Not for me.
2) You never quite know how you did after an exam because it's all relative to your peers. Not joking -- I finished one of my exams, and told my friend that I was 100% sure I got a certain grade on it, and I did (the only downside here is I can't really gloat about my prediction because that'd just be a male private part move).
3) You always do worse on the exams you think you aced, and vice versa. Not in my experience.
4) If you are under the median in either category, you'll have a hard time breaking the Top 50%. I find this quite dubious
5) It will be harder to get a good grade on Prof. X's exam because everyone knows what's going on in that class really well. I had a class like this, and I earned a grade consistent with all of my other grades.

There are countless other such statements, but who can even remember them?

With regards to the "drop off" as people "smarten up," I have this to say: the playing field was equal then, and the playing field will be equal now. Why would one who is able to beat everyone one semester suddenly fall below the curve? Assuming similar efforts, it really just defies logic.
Potential is just a word for something you haven't done yet.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 11:58:14 PM »
KC, last point you made is a little off.  A lot of 1Ls really increase their effort second semester or figure out what they did wrong.  My study group all did extremely well first semester, and with the same effort if not a little more, we all had our grades drop second semester.  Its going to take more then the same amount of effort to do the same second semester.  Not that I think you will have a problem doing well, but dont rest with the same amount of effort.

I am with you on every other point though.