Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I try to transfer?  (Read 470 times)

Advocate

• View Profile
Should I try to transfer?
« on: January 19, 2008, 07:14:24 PM »
I'm a 1L at Catholic and just earned a 3.7 gpa for the first semester (our curve is B-). I think it might be top ten percent based on my conversations with upperclassmen, but of course, it's impossible to know yet.

Anyway, would it be a good idea for me to try to transfer up to a higher ranked school? I guess the other possibility would be to try and get some money to stay where I am. I am currently paying for the entire cost of law school, which will be like 55K for the first year at Catholic. So maybe, assuming I can keep up the good work, they'll give me some money for next year. Apparently the amount of aid changes from year to year, but the top 25 percent gets something. It's sad to think about transferring, since I've made lots of friends, but ultimately I need to do the best for myself that I can.

So, should I think about transferring? Which schools would be worth the hassle? My LSAT rather sucked (mid 150s). I don't know how much that matters for transfer students, but I thought I'd give you some demographic info before asking your advice. Would I be wasting 80 dollars if I sent an application to GULC? What other schools might take me? Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice you might have. :)

vaplaugh

Re: Should I try to transfer?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 08:09:46 PM »
Definitely apply to GULC. You'll still be in DC and can meet up with friends if you like.  GWU might take you as well.  Probably no reason to go to American if Catholic will give you money - it depends.