Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 3.0 GPA, is it hopeless?  (Read 5476 times)

BUBC

• View Profile
    • Email
3.0 GPA, is it hopeless?
« on: January 19, 2008, 07:10:59 PM »
I'm a 1L at BC/BU and I just got two of my grades back. My GPA of those two combined is a 3.0 (Bs). I believe the curve is set to a B+. These two classes total 8 credits. These is still twenty more credits I will get tested on at the end of this semester.

How doomed am I? Is Biglaw still a possibility?

(I gotta say this is scaring the heck out of me. See: http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2008/01/16/law-blog-qa-kirsten-wolf-law-school-naysayer/)

resipsaloquitur

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 3.0 GPA, is it hopeless?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 07:45:35 PM »
Don't bet on your grades getting you a job.  Period.  I would say this to anyone regardless of where they want to work (big firm, small firm, government, public interest).  That's putting all your eggs in one basket and too much risk considering how much money and time you are putting into getting the degree. (Not that excellent grades do not help, but not everyone is going to get excellent grades.)

You need to start networking.  Join the local bar association and go to some events.  When there are events on campus where practicing attorneys are invited, go to them. Do not be a wall flower. See if your career office has some books about networking.

Have something other than grades that will help set you apart from your classmates such as volunteer work. Law-related if possible and be consistent with it (even if not law-related)... that kind of experience can go on your resume, be something to talk about at interviews, and can provide you contacts in your community.

Do not expect that you necessarily are going to get a top paying job out of law school.  Go to your financial aid office and ask them to help you understand the different options for debt repayment once you are done with school.

KianaFran

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 11:58:26 PM »
A 3.0 is definitely not hopeless. However, I do wonder what tier school you go to because I don't know many schools that have a 3.5 first year curve. I am at a 3 tier and the first year curve is 2.8/2.9, which is a B- curve. If the first year curve is really that high, it may be a little tough to get into a biglaw. Further, I also know that typically when looking for a summer associate position, networking as well as grades help you get the job. You can be the smartest person in the class, but if you don't interview well it doesn't matter.

A 3.0 first year is not bad. Hope this helps.

Suzieq830

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 12:44:20 AM »
i know people with 3.0GPA at BU/BC who still did okay

BUBC

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 08:33:11 AM »
i know people with 3.0GPA at BU/BC who still did okay
What do you mean by "okay"?

Suzieq830

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 11:03:22 AM »
still got firm job..maybe not v100 but high paying firm jobs in good markets

law411

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 11:29:35 AM »
What is BU/BC law school?

onlyblue85

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 11:44:15 AM »
I wouldn't count on a Big Law job, especially given the current state of the economy.  However, you do attend a decent school, so I don't think you'll have a problem finding a job.  It all depends on your perspective.  There is nothing terrible about a 70k job in a 40 attorney firm.  Everyone has to start somewhere. 

Another factor you need to take into consideration is your background.  If you do not have a unique background, then you need to distinguish yourself somehow.  One way to do this is to get As in certain classes.  For example, it's better to have 1 A in Torts, 2 Bs in Contracts and Civ Pro and a C in Property than 4 Bs in those subjects.  With that A, you can start the conversation about doing litigation for the firm.  Another avenue is to focus on a single club, working your way up to a leadership position and talking about that in your interviews. 

Good luck!

McLovin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 03:23:57 PM »
What is BU/BC law school?

Boston University/Boston College

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 04:02:40 PM »
I wouldn't count on a Big Law job, especially given the current state of the economy.  However, you do attend a decent school, so I don't think you'll have a problem finding a job.  It all depends on your perspective.  There is nothing terrible about a 70k job in a 40 attorney firm.  Everyone has to start somewhere. 

Another factor you need to take into consideration is your background.  If you do not have a unique background, then you need to distinguish yourself somehow.  One way to do this is to get As in certain classes.  For example, it's better to have 1 A in Torts, 2 Bs in Contracts and Civ Pro and a C in Property than 4 Bs in those subjects.  With that A, you can start the conversation about doing litigation for the firm.  Another avenue is to focus on a single club, working your way up to a leadership position and talking about that in your interviews. 

Good luck!

Just curious where you are basing this "expertise" from?  I have a biglaw job, come from a T25 school, and am nowhere near the top of my class.

Also, I have NEVER heard the BS you just made up about its better to get "1 A . . . ."  How you do in a class hardly equals your ability to practice in that area of law and law firms know that.

To the OP: You said you have only 8 credits worth of grades, right?  That is NOTHING.  Your gpa can change dramatically over the next semester.  Just plug along and do your thing, you are still fine.