Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone Concerned About Getting an Offer  (Read 6396 times)

GA-fan

Re: Anyone Concerned About Getting an Offer
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2008, 08:02:05 AM »
My point is simply this: you are the one who knows nothing about how large firms work yet continues to assert that you do. I don't have any interest in freaking out the OP-just saying that firms will ask for transcripts and resumes. The oP will be fine. for gods sake, the firm hasn't seen anything about your progress since start of 2L.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2008, 09:20:10 AM »
LoL, yes, I'm glad you know what I do and do not know about biglaw firms.  Funny..... You know nothing about me. 

You obviously have a huge chip on your shoulder lol.  Must be from feeling inferior for so long..... Ha ha ha.  Lighten up dude and get off that high horse.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2008, 11:13:08 AM »
My point is simply this: you are the one who knows nothing about how large firms work yet continues to assert that you do. I don't have any interest in freaking out the OP-just saying that firms will ask for transcripts and resumes. The oP will be fine. for gods sake, the firm hasn't seen anything about your progress since start of 2L.

Get over yourself.  "Firms will ask for transcripts and resumes" is NOT true across the board.  And before you retort, "you don't know how large firms work," YES, I DO KNOW HOW THEY WORK.  The firm I worked for as a 2L (and the one I will be working for after I take the bar) is a large, national firm, and it has not asked me for a resume or a transcript since I sent them my materials in fall of 2L.  They will be asking for a transcript/proof of graduation this summer, but all they care about at this point is that I graduate.

SO, to again reiterate what 2LMan has said - a firm MAY ask for a transcript or resume before making a permanent offer after 2L summer.  OR, like my firm, they MAY NOT.  Either way, the OP shouldn't stress him/herself out about it.  Just do the best you can in classes, which is really all that's in your control.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2008, 04:30:40 PM »
Not trying to scare anyone but found this related article:

http://www.abovethelaw.com/2008/03/time_for_2ls_to_panic_open_thr.php

yea, kinds discouraging.  on the bright side though, if the economy screws us out of offers, it will probably pretty widespread and wont have the same stigma attached as getting a no-offer in a normal economy.

blah. this law firm thing still sucks.  Im doing everything I possibly can at this point to make sure I have outs in case the economy doesnt recover in time to save me from a no-offer. 

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2008, 08:21:08 PM »
Same here...not trying to be a pessimistic but I'm already preparing my plan B. 

No-offer may not have the same stigma if it's widespread, but it only means that there will be twice as many 3Ls than usual looking for permanent jobs :(

hahah, true, true, its lose/lose.  we will just have to be the lucky ones with the offers if that happens

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2008, 08:46:54 PM »
Dude, people, QUIT FREAKING OUT.  Offer ratios may be lower, but the world is not going to come to an end.  Law firms spend a TON of money on a summer associate and they want to get their money's worth.  Do your summer, bust your butt, and get that offer.

Now I'm starting to remember why I don't hang out with law students.  It's like Debbie Downer central in here....  Have a drink already!

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2008, 09:18:11 PM »
Dude, people, QUIT FREAKING OUT.  Offer ratios may be lower, but the world is not going to come to an end.  Law firms spend a TON of money on a summer associate and they want to get their money's worth.  Do your summer, bust your butt, and get that offer.

Now I'm starting to remember why I don't hang out with law students.  It's like Debbie Downer central in here....  Have a drink already!

hahah, i get all my downerness out on LSD so i can be normal around the rest of my friends.  Oh, and me busting my butt is unlikely cause im a slacker. so, umm... i will save all my drinking till then