Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone Concerned About Getting an Offer  (Read 6397 times)

The M

• View Profile
Re: Anyone Concerned About Getting an Offer
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 01:11:37 PM »
I agree there is no point in worrying too much about it.  I've just heard stories in the past where you would have to work hard just to lose your offer and now I feel like you will have to work hard just to keep your offer.  Not to mention that abovethelaw.com has stated that some firms hired more than last year. http://www.abovethelaw.com/2008/01/the_summer_associate_recruitin_1.php

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 02:04:16 PM »
Depending upon the firm/city, firm's generally will not "no offer" their summers based strictly upon grades. If you perform well over the summer (and as I hear it, the bar is not set too high) you should be fine. Granted, I say this while still being rather nervous myself, but that's risk aversion for you...

If anything, I feel for the current 1Ls. My prediction is that the majority of firms in major markets will not dip below a 90% permanent offer rate (in the worst possible scenario) to current 2Ls in 2008, but that firms will cut back on summer hiring for 2009.

I don't know.  Seems kinda silly to me for a firm to spend 30k in salary plus perks and what not on a 1L only to not invite them back the following year.  Unless you just mean those doing OCI for the first time next year, then I can understand.

Veil

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 02:55:38 PM »
Sorry I didn't clarify...Yes, I was referring to 1Ls this year who will be applying to large firms for the first time this summer during OCI, not to 1Ls who will be SAs this summer.

SJ228

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2008, 12:08:26 AM »
Well, grades/ranks are in. I went from top 5% to top 9%. At my T2, the difference would have probably made the difference between my offer and no offer at that firm. Here's hoping that my summer firm isn't going to ask for updated grades. :-)

TPS Report

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2008, 12:32:43 AM »
I really hope that's not true.  If it is...I'm sorry dude.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2008, 07:30:28 AM »
Well, grades/ranks are in. I went from top 5% to top 9%. At my T2, the difference would have probably made the difference between my offer and no offer at that firm. Here's hoping that my summer firm isn't going to ask for updated grades. :-)

Don't worry; they won't.  Your credentials get you in the door for a screening interview.  Your offer for an SA position comes from the fact that they liked you, and think you might fit in.  Your end of summer job offer comes based on how well you fit in and the work that you did.  If you make an effort to get to know everyone and you do good work this summer, you'll likely be fine this summer (provided you don't fail out of law school - but if you're top 9%, you'd really have to work at that.  ;))

GA-fan

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2008, 04:12:01 PM »
I wouldn't worry about a drop from 5% to 9%! But, expect your firm to ask for an updated resume and transcript at the end of the summer. I think they're trying to verify that you didn't fail, but this is probably not a big deal at all. work hard, try not to stress out, and enjoy your summer.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2008, 04:30:35 PM »
I wouldn't worry about a drop from 5% to 9%! But, expect your firm to ask for an updated resume and transcript at the end of the summer. I think they're trying to verify that you didn't fail, but this is probably not a big deal at all. work hard, try not to stress out, and enjoy your summer.

Why would they ask for an updated resume?  The only change will likely be you working for their firm. Some firms may ask for updates, others may not.  Just enjoy the summer and work hard and ignore folks that just make things up lol.

GA-fan

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2008, 06:24:41 PM »
I'm not making this up. I worked biglaw 1L, and every summer at my firm got asked for transcript/resume. Your firm may not, but don't be surprised if they do. So get your facts straight before you accuse others of making stuff up, pal.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2008, 10:06:16 PM »
I'm not making this up. I worked biglaw 1L, and every summer at my firm got asked for transcript/resume. Your firm may not, but don't be surprised if they do. So get your facts straight before you accuse others of making stuff up, pal.

Pal? LoL, ok there hot shot.  You just proved my point: It happens at some firms, it doesn't happen at others, and the reality is that you can't do anything about it either way so why freak out the OP?

Oooooo, you have biglaw, you want a medal?  Go pat yourself on the back some more lol.