Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Over 30 yrs old recent grads question  (Read 9578 times)

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Over 30 yrs old recent grads question
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 09:51:06 PM »
Im Jolie:

In that one post, you told us you were a 2L at Michigan, 31 years old, working at a firm, and going to quit shortly after.  I would suggest removing your post as there are probably very few 31 year old 2Ls at michigan and you never know who will read these things.

scarlett

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 09:57:12 PM »
Im Jolie:

In that one post, you told us you were a 2L at Michigan, 31 years old, working at a firm, and going to quit shortly after.  I would suggest removing your post as there are probably very few 31 year old 2Ls at michigan and you never know who will read these things.

You'd be surprised.  But thank you for looking out for me.  As it turns out, I didn't say anything I'd be ashamed or fearful of anyone linking to me (including the comment about my likely length of tenure). 

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 10:09:01 PM »
alright cool :)

aaaa

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2008, 08:17:16 PM »
I think it is more problematic if you are a woman. Especially if you have kids.  If you are a guy and under 40, I don't think it is a huge problem. 

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 04:08:22 PM »
I think its LESS of a problem if you're a woman and you already have kids.  There's no fear that you'll miss a bunch of time for maternity leave (you've already birthed your children), and much less likely to leave the firm completely to be a stay at home mom, again, since you have kids already and are still choosing law school/career, whatever.

As a woman, though, I have to add that I would much rather these kinds of considerations never come into play in a hiring/retention decision.

Lionel Hutz

• Sr. Citizen
  • aka Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
    • smarter
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2008, 03:43:31 PM »
I'm a 31-year-old 3L, and I did just fine with the firms (got a few biglaw offers).  But there are a few firms that I am pretty sure dinged me because I have a long resume and wear a wedding band.  The more of a frat-house the firm is, the more your age might get in your way.  Other than that, age hasn't been an issue, except that my classmates are bewildered by the fact that I am actually married.
Don't touch my stuff!...Hey this isn't the YMCA!

SJU 09