Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1L job, prosecutor's office?  (Read 1874 times)

1Lchica

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
1L job, prosecutor's office?
« on: January 17, 2008, 08:16:39 PM »
I sent out letters and resumes to a variety of places, including large firms, government agencies, small/medium firms, etc.

However, I've gotten several rejections, and many haven't responded. I was, however, offered an OK-paying position at a mid-sized county prosecutor's office. Will this look pretty good on my resume in terms of my 2L summer? I think I'm more interested in civil stuff, but I don't want firms to think I just want to do criminal law if they see that on my resume.

GuysRea

• View Profile
Re: 1L job, prosecutor's office?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 09:59:44 PM »
This past summer, after completing my 1L year, I did a "volunteer" internship (i.e., no pay) for my hometown's District Attorney's Office.

I had the same fear you did, but it was unfounded. During OCI, I was asked about what I did at the DA's office, but there was no assumption that I wanted to do criminal law after law school.

I would imagine that law firms see all types of 1L summer jobs and in the scheme of things, DA/Prosecutor/Defender office internships are not out of the ordinary and do not necessary indicate a desire to practice criminal law.

GuysRea

• View Profile
Re: 1L job, prosecutor's office?
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 03:13:38 PM »
Yes, you can always call if you'd like, but you have to remind yourself you are only a 1L. I was at a T4 during my 1L, with grades that put me in the top 2%. I did not get an interview, let alone a job, after sending 40 something letters/resumes to firms and non-firms.

Though 1L firm jobs are out there, they are hard to come by even for 1Ls at top schools. I would take a hard look at non-firm law jobs in your area, though you already have a good position lined up.

Do not forget to focus on getting a high cumulative GPA for your 1L. You will thank yourself during OCI in your 2L.