Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: taking notes from casebook  (Read 1969 times)

1Lchica

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
taking notes from casebook
« on: January 17, 2008, 07:56:22 PM »
does anyone actually take notes from commentary and notes after cases in the casebooks? i did last semester, but it basically consisted of typing what i'd underlined into a word file. i'm wondering if i should just use my book when i'm making my outline instead of doing that extra work to type up the notes. it DID get me to go back over the material

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: taking notes from casebook
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 08:40:09 PM »
I read and type notes on both the cases in the book, and the notes afterward.  And while doing this, I'll write short notes in the margin (e.g. Issue, holding, rule, etc.) so I can look things up in the case if I have to in class.

It takes me a bit longer to read, but I never have to look at the case book again.  Editing/updating an old outline with my reading and classnotes is much more efficient than having to flip through the casebook again.

eli250

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 11:27:44 PM »
I've always skimmed the casebook and forgotten about it after class.  Commercial outlines have always served me well when it comes to exams.

1Lchica

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 10:36:40 AM »
I know I'm wacko, but I'm still trying to figure out if I should type notes from my casebook. I do briefs, but I'm not typing notes from the rest of the material in the casebook. Any other responses on what to do with the rest of the stuff in the casebook?

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 10:43:19 AM »
i use to brief into my computer and take notes on the note cases and commentary.  anyway, i found it somewhat useful, but not too much.  When it came time for outlining, I found that the only really thing that was important was my class notes.  I put note cases into my outlines, but I never had the opportunity or the need for that matter to get into the level of detail in the analysis sections of my exam to warrant using the case notes.  Plus, the professor isnt going to ask a question that requires you really reference anything he didnt go over in class.   

Anyway, you can take notes on it, but you are almost better off just taking the notes in the class, outlining from them, and if you think the outline is lacking or are confused, then to just g;ance back through the outline.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 10:52:14 AM »
It depends on the professor.  Most of the professors I have this semester go over EVERYTHING, cases and many of the notes afterward.  I take notes on everything and then I have less to type during class, and can spend more time listening and tying things together.  Other professors may not care about the notes, except for a few important ones.

It really depends on how you like to do things too.  I don't like transcribing classes, which is what I feel like I'm doing if I don't take notes on the reading.  If I take notes on everything in the casebook, I find that I add important things, stress important points, and add the professor's point of view/personal takes on things rather than trying to type everything and sort things out later.  Other people (like thorc) prefer to take everything down in class and work from class notes, which is probably more efficient.

So really, it's up to you to do what you think best fits your class/professor and how you prefer to "use" class time.

1Lchica

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 05:46:34 PM »
I definitely take a lot of notes in class... so I think I'm OK there.. I usually have a ton of notes.

Thanks for the tips you guys :)

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 12:27:51 PM »
Basically same as Matthies, and I got good grades.

coquita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 09:01:47 PM »
This all seems so time consuming. I just read and place notes in the margins of my book. Then I make my outline based on the highlighted sections of my book and notes in my book. I also get good grades. But as someone above said I do have to guard my books w/ my life now.  :-\ But if I were to take notes while reading it would basically be transcribing what is in the book. I think it does give you an extra review...but so does looking over the cases 10 minutes before class or outlining early in the semester. But whatever floats your boat.. I just wanted to give a different perspective.