Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Bad at Interviewing  (Read 3190 times)

roadie

• View Profile
Bad at Interviewing
« on: January 16, 2008, 02:58:32 PM »
Hey, law school truckers,

I have good grades and a good resume, so I landed a boatload of interviews last fall, and received callbacks from most of them. However, I must have really bombed the callbacks as I have no offers yet for summer. I've started applying to second market positions, and had interviews there, but I haven't received a position. I'm starting to develop interview anxiety. I have an interview coming up, which I'm really banking on, but I am so nervous, because so far I haven't been successful. To those who feel like you interview well? Please give me some advice. Thank you.

lawmama09

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Bad at Interviewing
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 04:04:25 PM »
Does your career office do mock interviews? My undergrad school did them and taped them, then went over them with us so we could see what we did right and wrong. I think they are the best people to help you with this problem because I am sure they have seen it before and probably have some really good advice. Also, maybe you could talk to a professor at the school and get some ideas?

roadie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 05:14:52 PM »
I probably should do that. I have not done it up to this point because it felt artificial. I did not know about taping them though. I think that would really be a good thing to watch. I would like to see how I come across.

lawmama09

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 10:08:30 AM »
Seeing myself on tape was very revealing. I played with my hair constantly and did all sorts of other silly, flighty things that made me look less serious. I had no idea I was doing it. But after seeing it on the tape (and this was almost 10 years ago now - I'm old!) I have been very careful and very aware of what I am doing in interviews.

I hope it helps you! Interviews are very stressful, even for people who are experienced. Good luck!

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 10:45:22 AM »
I would recommend talking to career services and doing mock interviews with them.  Most law schools offer them.  With good grades, you should land something eventually.  Good luck!
smujd2007 is now an Attorney at Law!

olive

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 05:35:27 PM »
I second the mock interviews and video taping yourself. Also, I realize it's hard but try not to be nervous. You got the interview because they like you on paper - now you need to be likeable in person, not regurgitate your resume. Smile, have good eye contact, and try to have a good conversation.

Something else I found helpful was coming up with a few things you'd like to get across during your interview and then think of funny or interesting anecdotes you can incorporate into your interview that will do it for you in an interesting way. For more specific examples, you can message me.

I used to be nervous interviewing too, but after a lot of experience in college (interviewing and later being the interviewer) I got a better feel for what people are usually looking for and what helps/hurts you in an interview. If you can fake being relaxed enough times you will eventually be relaxed.

Good luck

roadie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 08:57:53 PM »
Thanks everyone for your support. I got a job offer today with a good firm. I'm sure it was law review that really sealed the deal, but I just tried to stay relaxed during the interview and I guess it worked.

lawmama09

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 10:04:19 PM »
Congratulations! I bet that is a huge relief.

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 11:35:21 PM »
Congrats. Just remember that always, and you'll be fine!
smujd2007 is now an Attorney at Law!

olive

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 03:08:37 AM »
Thanks everyone for your support. I got a job offer today with a good firm. I'm sure it was law review that really sealed the deal, but I just tried to stay relaxed during the interview and I guess it worked.

Congrats! Being relaxed is easier said than done but makes a huge difference. Now you can really relax  :D