Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Most Ridiculous Grade In My Academic Career....  (Read 8247 times)

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
Re: The Most Ridiculous Grade In My Academic Career....
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2008, 06:57:38 AM »
Congratulations on the potential grade change. 
Back in the saddle again.

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2008, 08:16:01 AM »
The policy that a professor cannot give more than 8% of the class a C- or below might be based on a system of grades where the professor has more options (A, A-, B+, B, etc.). In a HP/P/LP/F, I could potentially see the minimum grade distribution policy altered given the smaller amount of options for a professor. You might want to think about that argument just in case the assistant dean and/or professor tries to take that stance.

Regardless, I still think factoring HP/P/LP/F grades into your GPA is an incredibly lame policy to begin with. Although an employer probably won't give two shits about a LP, you should argue that the possibility of getting a LP ensures you won't slack off in such classes so factoring the grades into your GPA is an unnecessary measure that causes problems when it conflicts with other grading policies.

Then again, the administration is probably more receptive to changing a few grades (which is what you're arguing for) rather than overturing an entire policy (which is what I would argue about regardless of what I received for a grade).

justaguy88

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2008, 06:50:23 PM »
The final update.  Closure at last....

I received this email from the assistant dean about an hour ago:

"Dear ______

Professor ______ talked with Associate Dean ____ today and requested that he be able to change the “LP” grades to “P”.  He has reviewed the exams and feels that although there was a significant drop in points at the bottom of the scale, that each student showed basic competency in the topic and that the students attended and participated at a good level.  There is no requirement that he give “LP” grades, so on that basis, he asked for grade changes.

Dean _____ granted the request because of his request, and, more importantly, that the grade change went to a “P”, not a higher grade.  She does, however, want everyone to understand that this would only happen in a rare situation such as this one, and that grade changes are very unlikely absent a verifiable mistake in the grading process by the professor."

Thanks to everyone who responded to my thread here....

coquita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2008, 12:03:54 AM »
awesome! ;D

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2008, 03:15:05 AM »
The final update.  Closure at last....

I received this email from the assistant dean about an hour ago:

"Dear ______

Professor ______ talked with Associate Dean ____ today and requested that he be able to change the “LP” grades to “P”.  He has reviewed the exams and feels that although there was a significant drop in points at the bottom of the scale, that each student showed basic competency in the topic and that the students attended and participated at a good level.  There is no requirement that he give “LP” grades, so on that basis, he asked for grade changes.

Dean _____ granted the request because of his request, and, more importantly, that the grade change went to a “P”, not a higher grade.  She does, however, want everyone to understand that this would only happen in a rare situation such as this one, and that grade changes are very unlikely absent a verifiable mistake in the grading process by the professor."

Thanks to everyone who responded to my thread here....

I love that the e-mail essentially says, "ok, we'll change this one, but don't think you can pull it off again."

That being said, congrats on getting your grade boosted!

rhesusman

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2008, 11:36:58 AM »
Congratulations on getting your grade changed.  Still, I think it was rather ballsy to go to the dean first - a lot of professors are rather egotistical and will refuse to do anything you ask if you go over their heads before speaking to them.  You're lucky this one wasn't a jerk.