Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Most Ridiculous Grade In My Academic Career....  (Read 8246 times)

olive

• View Profile
Re: The Most Ridiculous Grade In My Academic Career....
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2008, 01:55:27 PM »
I'd be upset too, especially if I took the class thinking I was guaranteed a P or HP. It's always possible the dean told this prof he needed to start giving LPs because not doing so defeats the purpose of a 3 grade-option class. My HS art teacher used to give everyone 100s (it was a mandatory class in 9th grade regardless of whether you could draw) and got yelled at by the principal -- so... out of nowhere one year he started giving lower grades.

You're lucky it's a negotiation class -- show your professor you learned something!  :D

McLovin

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2008, 02:55:10 PM »
I'm afraid I don't understand the kerfluffle over this either.  Fine, so there's no mandatory curve.  I know of a class where there's regularly an 8-pt spread between the highest grade and the lowest grade - grading clusters are not at all uncommon in classes where the raw material isn't that difficult and the main distinction between exams is how sophisticated the arguments are.  (That, incidentally, is the whole point of the curve - to translate a grading clusterf**ck into an intelligible, if totally subjective and somewhat meaningless distribution.)  And this isn't middle school, where 85% is automatically going to be tied to a B+.  Dunno, just seems like a lot of indignation over something that's unfortunate, but not necessarily unfair. 

Did you get a low pass?

scarlett

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2008, 03:16:51 PM »
I'm afraid I don't understand the kerfluffle over this either.  Fine, so there's no mandatory curve.  I know of a class where there's regularly an 8-pt spread between the highest grade and the lowest grade - grading clusters are not at all uncommon in classes where the raw material isn't that difficult and the main distinction between exams is how sophisticated the arguments are.  (That, incidentally, is the whole point of the curve - to translate a grading clusterf**ck into an intelligible, if totally subjective and somewhat meaningless distribution.)  And this isn't middle school, where 85% is automatically going to be tied to a B+.  Dunno, just seems like a lot of indignation over something that's unfortunate, but not necessarily unfair. 

Did you get a low pass?

Umm, I don't go to his school.

McLovin

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2008, 03:27:29 PM »

Did you get a low pass?

Ok then, so I'm pretty sure if you did get a horrible grade, and you weren't sure why you got it, you'd probably be a little upset and want to talk to the professor, no?

scarlett

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2008, 03:32:50 PM »

Did you get a low pass?

Ok then, so I'm pretty sure if you did get a horrible grade, and you weren't sure why you got it, you'd probably be a little upset and want to talk to the professor, no?

I never indicated that I wouldn't be upset or that I wouldn't want to discuss a disappointing grade with a prof.  Understandable.  But I certainly wouldn't go in looking for it to be changed, nor would I suggest that it was unfair merely because it was low. 

Suzieq830

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2008, 12:43:40 AM »
i would be upset and pissed too but i think the OP is a little bit too sure of the fact its a mistake and i think that is rubbing some people  the wrong way.

justaguy88

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2008, 03:17:47 AM »
I could care less if I am rubbing anyone the wrong way.  Anyone who says they wouldn't try to get the grade changed if they were in my position is full of it. 

The law school student is certainly a different breed....cover your own ass and revel in the shortfalls of others - or something to that effect.  I see it at my school and I see it on these boards as well....

Alamo79

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2008, 08:29:26 AM »
I could care less if I am rubbing anyone the wrong way.  Anyone who says they wouldn't try to get the grade changed if they were in my position is full of it. 

The law school student is certainly a different breed....cover your own ass and revel in the shortfalls of others - or something to that effect.  I see it at my school and I see it on these boards as well....

I would be pissed too, but I wouldn't push it too hard with the administration if Professor feminine hygiene product won't change it; law school administrations are not known for their receptiveness to boat-rocking malcontents.  An ugly battle could turn some of your future teachers against you, damaging the rest of your law school career and possibly even hurting you with recommenders, if you ever apply for a position requiring an academic recommendation.

If you're just talking about concern with rubbing people on this board the wrong way, then carry on--there are certainly more important things to care about than the opinions of message board posters.

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2008, 10:49:26 AM »

I agree with this post.  As we all know law school exams/grades are based on not just what you did in a percentage on the exam, but based on what the rest of the class did on the exam as well.  Suppose out of the 20 people in the class 16 people scored 91+ and the OP and the 81% student and 78% student were the three lowest in the class.  It might mean that you get low passes.  It does not guarantee that you get low passes, but grades are at the discretion of the professor in that regard.  That might be the problem with an easy exam.  It means that people get a high percentage of the points but still get low grades.  And just because there is no manditory grading curve, does not mean that the professor cannot curve the grades.  One thing that I dont think was mentioned, but seems to be inferred is that this is the same professor teaching this class that taught the previous years classes that didnt give out any LPs.  If it is not him, then he cant be held to that standard and if it was him, he cant be held do that standard because those classes contained different students and no one knows what they did to deserve their grades.  How can someone take a class thinking they are guaranteed an excellent grade (I know the OP didnt say this, but someone else made this comment)??? 

I think at the end of the day, the only thing you can do is go to the professor and see why you received the grade you received.  Once it is explained to you you can decide how you respond.  Even if you disagree with the grade and his reasoning, be careful how you proceed.
Back in the saddle again.

McLovin

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2008, 07:07:29 PM »
So what happened?