Law School Discussion

Who Loves LexisNexis?

Who Loves LexisNexis?
« on: January 15, 2008, 10:30:51 PM »
Am I the only one who really loves the lexis points system?  I mean, you can actually order stuff that you want (off of Amazon or Barnes and Noble, for instance).  I have a DVD box set thing coming from the points I racked up last semester :)  Reward to me for getting through!

It seems like none of my classmates do the points thing, or maybe we just don't talk about it.

I think it's awesome - stuff for free!  Beats the crap out of whatever Westlaw has ... maybe I just don't like westlaw as much :P

Re: Who Loves LexisNexis?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 11:33:00 PM »
I "did" the Westlaw/LexisNexis stuff for free for my three years of law school.  I found, for me, I did better case law research on Westlaw, got my cites, and then read them on LexisNexis.  Maybe its changed (graduated in 1999), but at that time it worked for me.  Beware of "habits", though...I'm now a sole practitioner.  I now go with CaseMaker, free of charge, through my state bar association. 

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 05:42:51 AM »
Lexis points ARE awesome.  If only they didn't lower the amount of points you can earn this semester  :'(

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 06:32:29 AM »
I "did" the Westlaw/LexisNexis stuff for free for my three years of law school.  I found, for me, I did better case law research on Westlaw, got my cites, and then read them on LexisNexis.  Maybe its changed (graduated in 1999), but at that time it worked for me.  Beware of "habits", though...I'm now a sole practitioner.  I now go with CaseMaker, free of charge, through my state bar association. 

Well, I actually DO prefer the "print" format of westlaw ... so I'll usually save/download and print cases from westlaw, but the perks of lexis are way better (plus it's just ... more attractive/aesthetically pleasing).

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 07:07:35 PM »
I'll take Westlaw over Lexis ANY day. 

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 07:15:03 PM »

Ewww, why?  It's so boring and no cool free stuff!

Plus, at our school, the lexis guy was awesome, and the westlaw lady was an annoying biatch.

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 09:41:51 PM »
I also prefer Lexis in research.  It just seems more intuitive.  Does anyone else feel that way?  Everyone always seems to defer to West for some reason. 

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 09:50:59 PM »
I'm a 2L and have never used Westlaw.  I love LexisNexis.

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 09:53:08 PM »
I also prefer Lexis in research.  It just seems more intuitive.  Does anyone else feel that way?  Everyone always seems to defer to West for some reason. 

I have the same experience with Lexis, but I think most of my peers prefer Westlaw.  I just locate info better on Lexis and I like Shepard's way more than KeyCite

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 09:56:24 PM »

me too... i prefer the color blue over red.