Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What do PDs and Prosecutors do after?  (Read 1044 times)

Barbie22

• View Profile
What do PDs and Prosecutors do after?
« on: January 15, 2008, 08:45:57 PM »
It seems all i hear about are criminal defense attorneys hanging their own singles after their time as a PD or a prosecutor.  Is this the general/only career trail?  What else can prosecutors do after their time working for the government? 

NeverTrustKlingons

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What do PDs and Prosecutors do after?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 01:46:08 PM »
Apply to the UN and prosecute crimes against humanity.

Get into the investigative side as a supercop.

Move to China and defend factories against human rights claims.

I don't think there would be many limitations (barring, of course, heavily specific areas of law requiring hard science degrees and the like).
I'll never trust a Klingon.  Klingon bastards killed my son.  -- Captain James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise NCC-1701

rhesusman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 02:09:37 PM »
I've heard that it's unusual for an ADA to spend more than four years doing it and that it's the norm for them to move on to something else.  Maybe your career office can put you in touch with alums from your school who were public defenders or worked for a district or state attorneys office and ask them what they did when they were done.

Barbie22

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 02:59:38 PM »
It just seems that a very large percentage hop to the other side and start doing defense work.  I mean...is the money that good to where these ex prosecutors are willing to defend those they were sending to jail not too long ago?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 03:32:07 PM »
I've heard that it's unusual for an ADA to spend more than four years doing it and that it's the norm for them to move on to something else. 

Not in the office I've worked in. there are a lot of lifers there.  Then again, the office has a great reputation, and people genuinely like working there.  So maybe that makes a difference.

vaplaugh

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 07:23:23 PM »
It just seems that a very large percentage hop to the other side and start doing defense work.  I mean...is the money that good to where these ex prosecutors are willing to defend those they were sending to jail not too long ago?

Double or triple your salary in a relatively short amount of time?  That's pretty good.

txlawstu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 12:36:36 PM »
Anything they want to do.  The majority flip sides and do defense work and don't change fields because they only want to do criminal law.  But I worked with an ADA that became a clerk for a Federal Judge and then got a job in a civil law firm.  He is now back in prosecution in the Federal system because he hated the civil work.

And you can usually make the same or better money by doing defense work, but the two biggest reasons for the flip are simple.  1. They only did prosecution to learn the ropes before they went out to hang their shingle.  They weren't really wanting to be prosecutors.  and 2. when you hang your own shingle, you become your own boss.  You work how you want to, when you want (with the exception of court appearances that are set by the court) and handle your office the way you want.  No more following someone else's rules and punching a time clock.

I plan to be an ADA and can't see myself ever flipping sides.  But, if I did, I'd do it for the 2nd reason.  Being your own boss does sound appealing.

aXXo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 05:26:17 PM »
I know several former prosecutors who specialize in matrimonial law exclusively.  Others have become judges eventually.  So you won't be too limited.