Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any notion of class rank estimate based on these numbers?  (Read 1080 times)

OneLHell

• View Profile
Any notion of class rank estimate based on these numbers?
« on: January 15, 2008, 08:22:44 PM »
I'm a 1L at a respected and underrated T3 school. Nevertheless, it is a T3, and the curve rule is that the mean average per class must fall between 2.5 and 3.0 (basically, that means a 2.7 -- your typical T3, in other words). I pulled a 3.05 GPA, which is pretty good but personally disappointing (A- Contracts, B in Torts, C+ Civ Pro I and B in Crim). Can anyone from experience estimate how that GPA might translate into class rank. I ask because only the top 40% is eligible to write its way onto Law Review, which is important to me. My sense is that I'm probably top 35% or so, but I have no basis for that.

Either way, I guess you could call this an excellent start. A lawyer friend told me when he got his first job, the firm only looked at his second semester, first-year grades. So I just need to keep working on learning jurisprudential thinking and cleaner analytical writing. 

Lloyd

• View Profile
Re: Any notion of class rank estimate based on these numbers?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 09:19:32 PM »
It's around top third.

Think less about grades and more about rank. Employers generally only care about rank and reputation of school since so many schools have different curves. Individual grades generally only come up if there is so anomaly (e.g., you have 1 abnormally low grade).

McLovin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 09:32:11 PM »
Wow, this post reeks of cockiness.  Good luck finding a job.

brewha

• Sr. Citizen
  • I drank much of this after the Bar Exam....
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 10:25:02 PM »

Either way, I guess you could call this an excellent start. 

could but shouldn't.
pudding is delightful

OneLHell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 06:25:35 PM »
Yeah, sure, having a C+ in Civ Pro makes me real f-ing cocky. Are you really that much of an a-hole? All's I'm saying is I have a learning curve in play here and I'm working hard to improve in taking these damn exams. This is the important semester. For now, I'll look at getting an A- in Contracts and a B in Torts (4 credit courses with DIFFICULT finals) as a positive sign that I'm not a bum making a mistake. 

For what it's worth, I'm working a pretty involved internship with a medical malpractice sole practitioner right now ... work experience counts for something, too. Especially early.