Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transferring to a top 14 from a tier 2?  (Read 2244 times)

MiamiLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Transferring to a top 14 from a tier 2?
« on: January 15, 2008, 11:59:51 AM »
If I pull off top 20% somehow, would it seem possible to transfer to a top 14, any one?  Also, would I be able to get into biglaw with top 20% from U of Miami if that is indeed what I get?

redjay

• View Profile
Re: Transferring to a top 14 from a tier 2?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 12:53:20 PM »
I don't know about the first part of your question...but I have also been wondering about the second part. I didn't come in with any type of scholarship, while it seems like 70% of the class did, they need to stay in the top 50% to keep their scholarships - so if I am in the top half, it only makes sense that I should be able to take over someone else's scholarship money right? I know my school allows people to increase their scholarship for doing well, so why shouldn't I be able to increase mine from nothing to at least a couple g's?

It makes sense, anyone have experience with this? How did you go about asking?

brightline

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 01:40:16 PM »
In the past some people have had success negotiating a scholarship if they receive transfer acceptance at a higher ranked school first.

Top 20% is likely not going to be good enough for a T14, though you may squeak into a top 25 with those grades.

MiamiLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 01:42:58 PM »
In the past some people have had success negotiating a scholarship if they receive transfer acceptance at a higher ranked school first.

Top 20% is likely not going to be good enough for a T14, though you may squeak into a top 25 with those grades.

yea all I have so far is two grades which are a B and a B+ (4 credit class).  My GPA is a 3.283 right now and according to the rankings from last year, that is around top 20%. 3 more grades to go, I am really really really hoping for some B+'s and A's  :P  Wish me luck peoples

MiamiLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 02:04:47 PM »
what happens to people that their class rank puts them at like top 21% of the class? Do they just get screwed?

brightline

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 09:32:22 PM »
A lot depends on the strength of the transfer applicant pool, how many transfers a particular school takes, etc.

Top 21% may indeed get you into a top 25 school...it just depends.Keep in mind things get more competitive every year because more and more people try to transfer.

But I can say with near certainty that it wouldn't be good enough for a T14 coming from a tier 2.

Look at the transferapps database for more information.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transferapps/

what happens to people that their class rank puts them at like top 21% of the class? Do they just get screwed?

rhesusman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 01:22:56 PM »
I don't see why it wouldn't be worth a try.  Unless your career office bites heads off when people try to ask about it, I'd ask them how feasible it is.  You don't stand to lose anything if you try and don't succeed.  I go to a T14 and we had a transfer from Cooley and transfer from Widener, both tier 4 schools.  I think we also had some people come in from Albany Law School, which is tier 3.  I don't think you'd be out of line to at least try.

middlelanguage

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 01:35:59 PM »
I don't know about the first part of your question...but I have also been wondering about the second part. I didn't come in with any type of scholarship, while it seems like 70% of the class did, they need to stay in the top 50% to keep their scholarships - so if I am in the top half, it only makes sense that I should be able to take over someone else's scholarship money right? I know my school allows people to increase their scholarship for doing well, so why shouldn't I be able to increase mine from nothing to at least a couple g's?

It makes sense, anyone have experience with this? How did you go about asking?

Wrong. Law schools don't work that way. Just because someone loses their scholarship doesn't mean the school will give it to you. Law schools need to make money and they will be reluctant to dish out more money. Some schools, like mine, do reward students who did not have scholarships but end up in the top 25% or 5%; but these awards are modest and do not equal the amounts of the students who lost theirs. Indeed, I know that my class rank is much higher than my initial scholarship would indicate, but the Dean informed me that I could not receive any more money.

MiamiLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 12:43:29 PM »
well i just got my final grade which was good and it seems like I am solid top 20% as of now. Is there an official way to find out what the cutoff is for transferring to schools? Like if I called admissions would they even tell me?

Skallagrim

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 08:16:05 PM »
Why don't you call the admissions offices and ask?