Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Top 35 school to Georgetown?  (Read 1470 times)

westcoaster

• View Profile
Top 35 school to Georgetown?
« on: January 14, 2008, 08:34:45 PM »
Worth it?  I figure it would probably amount to a $50k increase in tuition (total) over the next two years, which I'm extremely reluctant to do.  It's also looking like I'll probably place in the top 10-15% or so at my current school as it stands (good enough for law review, etc).  However, the prestige and higher mobility of the degree is also very appealing. 

anyone have thoughts or similar experiences to share?

eli250

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Top 35 school to Georgetown?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 09:52:12 PM »
I was in a similar situation last year, considered moving up but am still at a school ranked in the 30s.  I found it more difficult than I thought it'd be to find summer associate jobs but ended up being able to split with two V20 firms.  I've heard its a lot tougher to get clerkships from the lower ranked schools, but is it worth it to go so far in to debt?  From my experience, the BigLaw jobs will be there if you are top 10% and make it on Law Review at your lower ranked tier 1.  

westcoaster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 10:22:33 PM »
I was in a similar situation last year, considered moving up but am still at a school ranked in the 30s.  I found it more difficult than I thought it'd be to find summer associate jobs but ended up being able to split with two V20 firms.  I've heard its a lot tougher to get clerkships from the lower ranked schools, but is it worth it to go so far in to debt?  From my experience, the BigLaw jobs will be there if you are top 10% and make it on Law Review at your lower ranked tier 1.  

That's good to hear you did well staying.  Did you end up staying in the same area as your school?  Another big concern that I only touched on in my previous post is that in the long run I plan on practicing in CA (though I don't mind staying on the east coast for a few years).  I'm worried that a degree from a school in the 30's will serve me poorly in that west coast job hunt down the line.

eli250

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 09:20:57 AM »

That's good to hear you did well staying.  Did you end up staying in the same area as your school?  Another big concern that I only touched on in my previous post is that in the long run I plan on practicing in CA (though I don't mind staying on the east coast for a few years).  I'm worried that a degree from a school in the 30's will serve me poorly in that west coast job hunt down the line.

I had initially wanted to stay close to my school, but actually had better offers from out of market firms.

Another thing to keep in mind is whether or not you will be able to be on law review if you transfer.  I would imagine some employers would consider top 10% + law review at a lower tier one to be better than being near the median without law review at a T14.  Just guessing on this one though.

werls21

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 12:27:20 AM »
Just to address the ability of being on law review at Georgetown while transfering question... This is very possible.  Personally I ended up on another secondary journal, but I have many friends who participated in the write on and ended up on law review after transfering.  As far as the overall decision goes, its a tough call.  To be honest, I love GULC and would make the same decision again but the extra $$ and wiping of the grades clean are far from ideal.  As far as job prospects go, GULC places very well all over the nation but if you want to stay on the east coast (and assuming your school is there) you would probably get what you wanted with either option as long as you can hold a conversation in an interview.  Moving back to the west coast as a future career move would probably have more to do with your first job than your law school.  Hope this helps if you have any more questions feel free to ask and good luck!

westcoaster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 11:10:01 PM »
Just to address the ability of being on law review at Georgetown while transfering question... This is very possible.  Personally I ended up on another secondary journal, but I have many friends who participated in the write on and ended up on law review after transfering.  As far as the overall decision goes, its a tough call.  To be honest, I love GULC and would make the same decision again but the extra $$ and wiping of the grades clean are far from ideal.  As far as job prospects go, GULC places very well all over the nation but if you want to stay on the east coast (and assuming your school is there) you would probably get what you wanted with either option as long as you can hold a conversation in an interview.  Moving back to the west coast as a future career move would probably have more to do with your first job than your law school.  Hope this helps if you have any more questions feel free to ask and good luck!

I know it's a long shot, but are there scholarships or anything available for transfers?

motorolalawyer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 11:56:02 PM »
do you go to uc davis or uc hastings? if so, top 10-15% WILL get you a biglaw job in CA and even on the east coast if you interview well. i don't know anybody outside of the top 15% without a biglaw offer from uc davis and uc hastings.

westcoaster

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 04:52:56 PM »
do you go to uc davis or uc hastings? if so, top 10-15% WILL get you a biglaw job in CA and even on the east coast if you interview well. i don't know anybody outside of the top 15% without a biglaw offer from uc davis and uc hastings.

DC school actually, eventually looking to go the other direction