Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: HELP: Judge v. Firm  (Read 1947 times)

KC#11

• View Profile
HELP: Judge v. Firm
« on: January 14, 2008, 07:07:45 PM »
Need some opinions here...I have an internship offer with a deadline from a federal COA judge. Also did some firm callback interviews, which would likely not be decided on for a good while (they hinted decisions would be made in February, whereas I really need an answer now...).

What should I do?! Advice?
Potential is just a word for something you haven't done yet.

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: HELP: Judge v. Firm
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 08:47:14 AM »
Call the firms and see if there's any chance of an expedited decision.  Maybe also call the judge and see if there's any room or if it is possible to spend half your summer with the judge (this is a bit riskier of a call - calling the firms is a must).

But by no means should you let the job with the judge lapse without an offer from these other firms. 

KC#11

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 04:28:54 PM »
Call the firms and see if there's any chance of an expedited decision.  Maybe also call the judge and see if there's any room or if it is possible to spend half your summer with the judge (this is a bit riskier of a call - calling the firms is a must).

But by no means should you let the job with the judge lapse without an offer from these other firms. 

Thanks for the advice. I actually plan on doing just that. Ultimately, I guess this is a good problem to have.

SJ228

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 04:42:06 PM »
I would check with career services before you ask for more time or to spilt. When I started the interview process with federal judges, I was told that it was very rude to turn them down. It looks bad on you and the school. I was told that your not supposed to apply to work with a judge unless you would happily accept it on the spot.

Congrats though.

KC#11

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 04:47:51 PM »
I would check with career services before you ask for more time or to spilt. When I started the interview process with federal judges, I was told that it was very rude to turn them down. It looks bad on you and the school. I was told that your not supposed to apply to work with a judge unless you would happily accept it on the spot.

Congrats though.

They never told us anything like that...and I doubt that's the case, because I've received several other offers from fed. judges that have expressed that it is "okay" to turn them down.

Might be slightly different here because this isn't district court, but still...

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 07:29:16 PM »
Easy. Judge. Clerking never limits your opportunities after clerking.

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 05:00:15 PM »

Congrats though.

I haven't heard this specifically aimed at summer internships.  I have heard this when talking about judicial clerkships after graduation.  Part of it is that when the judges make their decision, they supposedly start at the top of their list and start calling till they get someone on the phone who will accept right then.  If you miss the phone call or ask to think it over, they move on to the next one.  That obviously isn't the case here, since the OP already has a bit of time in which to decide.