Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: second semester apathy  (Read 2513 times)

redjay

• View Profile
second semester apathy
« on: January 13, 2008, 08:36:25 PM »
just finished first semester of 1L - did pretty well too...still can't seem to get motivated for this semester, been leaving all my work to the last minute, doing it in the morning before class, and not being able to pay attention at all during class....

Is this a normal thing after first semester? I am gonna end up doing real bad if this continues...does it get better?

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: second semester apathy
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 09:23:56 PM »
just finished first semester of 1L - did pretty well too...still can't seem to get motivated for this semester, been leaving all my work to the last minute, doing it in the morning before class, and not being able to pay attention at all during class....

Is this a normal thing after first semester? I am gonna end up doing real bad if this continues...does it get better?

it only gets worse from there :) on the bright side, most of your classmates feel the same way, except maybe the ones that bombed first semester and are now working their asses off.  Eventually, you will get back in the swing of things.  Every semester seems to get progressively harder to even care about though. 

NeverTrustKlingons

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 09:31:13 PM »
I feel much the same way, but now I feel as though I know what sort of emotions to discount -- for example, the semester-long dread I felt for CivPro last term I can just manage into comfortable levels of studying now (it's not worth the freakout sessions).
I'll never trust a Klingon.  Klingon bastards killed my son.  -- Captain James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise NCC-1701

aXXo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 05:18:45 PM »
I was already apathetic, but I think you care more, so you should picture how you'd feel getting abysmal grades this May each time you start to procrastinate.

rhesusman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 05:46:43 PM »
I remember that feeling.  But as it got closer to exam time, it was just like first semester stress all over again.  I think it's a natural feeling.  I wouldn't worry about it too much - there's very little you can do or not do in the first few weeks that will affect your grade at the end of the semester.

1Lchica

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 07:51:28 PM »
Man, I'm exactly the same. I can't get myself to be motivated like I was last semester. I'm behind in a few of my classes. Hopefully I can utilize this three-day weekend to get caught up and such. Blah. We still don't get our grades until next Friday.

blackpowerman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 12:44:40 AM »
hey i really thought it was just me- im soo out of wack, one of my profs even asked if u was still enrolled today!  i didnt go to class.  i missed a lot of the first week i had food poisoning.  butn ow i get to class and im so out of wack, i dont even know whats going on.  and then its impossible to do any work.  heres the worst part.  i go to t-4 and my grades are terrible... im so screwed
"The fox knows many tricks; the hedgehog one good one" - Archilochus

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 01:31:48 AM »
I'm feeling it, too ... it's 1:30am and I haven't even started my property reading for tomorrow :P  Lexis brief here I come!  I just can't seem to force myself to work ... ugh.  I guess I don't have the "fear" I did when I first started (making sure to read everything carefully b/c I was terrified!)  Now I'm just slacking ... and I seem to be the only one in my section that quit briefing ... it's just such a waste of time when you're going to go over it in class!

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 09:50:43 AM »
I feel a little different. We are 2 weeks in, I'm keeping up with the reading, etc... I just don't feel as panicked as I did last semester. And it's idiotic, but that makes me nervous. I feel like I should be busier, but I'm on top of the reading and it is too early to break out the E&E's just yet b/c I am trying to get a feel for what my professors are looking for. Anyone else having this experience?

I will say that grades only came out one week ago, and it was impossible to concentrate before that.
Vanderbilt 2010

Basic_Black

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 07:07:12 PM »

I will say, at least from my experience as a 1L, second semester of 1L was the “hardest” at least in doing well grade wise. I did great first semester, but second semester the competition got tougher, everyone who did poorly or mediocre was putting in 110% and trying different study methods. My grades went down slightly second semester of 1L (same with most of my friends who did well) and many peoples grades went up who did poorly. I just found, of all semesters so far, second of 1L was the most competitive, at least in my class. So if there is any semester to shake it off quickly, this is the one to do it in.

I've already noticed this.  2nd semester of 1L year, it is already obvious that you are either getting ahead, or you are getting behind.  There doesn't seem to be much middle ground...
Law is order, and good law is good order.

Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC), Politics