Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Loyola Los Angeles  (Read 1375 times)

agent433

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Loyola Los Angeles
« on: January 12, 2008, 09:43:58 PM »
Im considerin goin here but am concerned for one reason. I know that it's separated from its undergraduate school. Does this have any disadvantages? To me, this would make it hard to have a sense of community. For example, at other schools, everything is right there on campus, the fitness center, undergrad library, dining halls, sports facilities, etc and there is lots of interaction between grads and undergrads. Lookin @ LLS, it just seems disconnected to me, just some random building with classrooms in the middle of LA with nothin around it. But I really do hope its not like that, since the academics and career prospects seem pretty good. Also logistically, what do you guys do in terms of classes? Do you just stay at LLS the whole day and attend class whenever needed, hangin out around the campus the rest of the time, or do you go back and forth b/w home and school? Any current students or others w/ knowledge got any thoughts?

agent433

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Loyola Los Angeles
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 10:55:23 AM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Knowledge

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 02:12:35 AM »
Hi, I'm currently a second year at LLS, and in my opinion, I don't think the fact that the "parent" university and LLS are physically separated by a distance of 16 miles has any disadvantages at all.  For the most part, LLS is its own universe.  We have no "Fitness Center," but there is a basketball court and a ping pong table (lol).  There's a tiny little dining hall, which to be honest, I've never ate at. 

But all that notwithstanding, LLS is a wonderful school that provides a great legal education from awesome professors.  Also, it's location near downtown puts it nearer to the heart of the legal center of Los Angeles.  I'd also like to point out that in a city like Los Angeles, there is no where that has "nothing around it." 

One caveat however:  Keep in mind that LLS is a Tier 2 school, and despite what the employment statistics say, the job search can be extremely difficult if you aren't in the top 10-20% of your class.  Realistically, you'd be looking at a starting salary of around $50,000 at some small firm.  This is something that wasn't clear to me when I decided to go to law school.  I, like many others, was blinded by "BIGLAW" aspirations, thinking that a mere JD would be sufficient. 

junegille

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 03:32:56 AM »
how difficult is it to be in the top 20%?

agent433

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 10:41:38 AM »
Hi, I'm currently a second year at LLS, and in my opinion, I don't think the fact that the "parent" university and LLS are physically separated by a distance of 16 miles has any disadvantages at all.  For the most part, LLS is its own universe.  We have no "Fitness Center," but there is a basketball court and a ping pong table (lol).  There's a tiny little dining hall, which to be honest, I've never ate at. 

But all that notwithstanding, LLS is a wonderful school that provides a great legal education from awesome professors.  Also, it's location near downtown puts it nearer to the heart of the legal center of Los Angeles.  I'd also like to point out that in a city like Los Angeles, there is no where that has "nothing around it." 

One caveat however:  Keep in mind that LLS is a Tier 2 school, and despite what the employment statistics say, the job search can be extremely difficult if you aren't in the top 10-20% of your class.  Realistically, you'd be looking at a starting salary of around $50,000 at some small firm.  This is something that wasn't clear to me when I decided to go to law school.  I, like many others, was blinded by "BIGLAW" aspirations, thinking that a mere JD would be sufficient. 
thanks for the help man.  And yea, I do know about the career prospects.  I am assuming that being in the top 15-20% would get me a BIGLAW/6 fig job.  Is that true?  I also got a 80k scholarship, so I think I got a pretty good cushion for myself, in case I don't get that biglaw job.  Honestly, tho, Im really hopin i get into SC, but its a reach for me.

But in terms of the school, do you feel that theres a sense of "community" there?  I ask b/c im sure that since its downtown, theres probably people that live all over LA that go there.  So basically, Im askin if students there hang out, study together, go out to clubs/bars together, etc, like other schools.  This is important to me since if I go there, Ill be in a city where I know literally nobody  :o

agent433

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 04:29:28 PM »
^^^^^

justaguy88

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 05:35:05 PM »

I'm not expert on Loyola, but according to ILRG here http://www.ilrg.com/rankings/law/view.php/51 the average private sector gig in 05' started at 70k.

agent433

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 10:32:37 PM »
so what are some good places to live near LLS? I was readin a thread about loyola for the class of 09 and they were talkin about livin in santa monica, playa del rey, manhattan beach.  Arent these places like 20+ miles from the school? Wouldnt that take like 2 hours during most hours of the day?  :o What are some good areas around campus?

username123

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 04:23:06 AM »
Im considerin goin here but am concerned for one reason. I know that it's separated from its undergraduate school. Does this have any disadvantages? To me, this would make it hard to have a sense of community. For example, at other schools, everything is right there on campus, the fitness center, undergrad library, dining halls, sports facilities, etc and there is lots of interaction between grads and undergrads. Lookin @ LLS, it just seems disconnected to me, just some random building with classrooms in the middle of LA with nothin around it. But I really do hope its not like that, since the academics and career prospects seem pretty good. Also logistically, what do you guys do in terms of classes? Do you just stay at LLS the whole day and attend class whenever needed, hangin out around the campus the rest of the time, or do you go back and forth b/w home and school? Any current students or others w/ knowledge got any thoughts?

Hey- I'm currently a 1L at LLS.
First, regarding the separation from LMU - there's really not much to discuss. The only LMU students I've ever talked to are the ones at LLS, and although I've heard LLS students get full access to LMU facilities, I've never taken the drive.  Although I can't answer it for sure, I would bet that law students at shared campuses aren't partying-going out-meeting-socializing with the undergrads too often.

The school is not just a random bldg in LA, but 5 or 6 buildings, designed by one of the most famous architects ever, with grass areas and courtyards, located in DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES.  Compare: Southwestern which is a random bldg in LA. USC is one ugly random bldg on campus.  UCLA is a few beautiful buildings on campus as well.  Don't know if you've heard of the Staples Center, Nokia Theatre LA Live, the Los Angeles Convention Center, Hotel Figueroa, Shopping at 7th and Fig, the Standard, etc, but they are all within a stone's throw of Loyola (ok maybe a 2 min drive, but still - note: there are Staples center parking lots a block away from campus). Also, students live across Hollywood, mid-Wilshire, Santa Monica, Pasadena, or other little cities around LA - and so you end up going out all over LA.

I will say that if you're coming from any sort of college town, or more centrally focused city than LA, you're going to notice a difference in "community".  The bottom line is that if you move to LA (going to USC, UCLA, LLS, wherev), your friends are going to live all over town, and to hang out, or go out, or whatev, it's going to be an annoying drive to do it.  Its also not undergrad, so you're not going to be drinking your Saturday afternoons away at a buddies or cutting class to go to the beach.

BUT, Loyola does an awesome job to help this out.  About every week or two SBA picks a place for a "bar review" that lots of students take advantage of to coordinate outings.  The first Thursday of each month, SBA holds "Turf Club" where they give free food, beer and wine from 4-7pm on campus.  Tons of students stick around to socialize with each other and the many professors that come out.  There are Public Interest Law Auctions, bar reviews, club get-togethers, "law school prom", alumni brunches, and other events going on all the time as well.  And just in general, as time goes by, everyone becomes friends and when you want to go out, there are plenty of people in the same boat.  I go out, to bars or clubs or whatev, about once or twice a week, and almost always with law school friends.

As far as staying on campus vs. going home - its going to depend on what schedule you get. This semester, classes are in fairly close blocks and it'd be unreasonable to go home.  Last semester we had a 2 hour break for lunch each day, and some ppl would go off campus to eat.  I didn't hear of anyone going home, but ppl that live at the Medici (rare but some) are only a minute away.  The cafeteria is good and has a pretty wide range of healthy food - however it's not gourmet and I won't say the selection holds up when you eat there really often (see Effects of Studying for Finals), but I can't complain too much.

I hope I answered your question - although I am surely bias.  I've really loved Loyola, picked it over higher ranked schools, and have no regrets.

username123

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2008, 07:01:20 PM »
so what are some good places to live near LLS? I was readin a thread about loyola for the class of 09 and they were talkin about livin in santa monica, playa del rey, manhattan beach.  Arent these places like 20+ miles from the school? Wouldnt that take like 2 hours during most hours of the day?  :o What are some good areas around campus?

Forgot to mention places to live:
Downtown: Medici (and its related apt complexes), the Flats, etc [big complexes].  Bar reviews go on at Hotel Fig, Edison..
Mid-Wilshire: Park La Brea is pretty popular, but not to the pt that if you live there your friends will too.  Bar reviews go on at Busby's East on wilshire (there's really only 1 other bar near there)
West LA: Some students live here, low key, easy to get to the 10/405
Santa Monica: Some students live here, low key, great neighborhoods, sometimes pricey. Bar reviews go on at Q's, Busby's West, etc. Also, if you're into going to bars (rather than LA, celeb club spots), they're concentrated in Santa Monica. The majority of times I've gone out with law students it is in SM, prob next step down is Busby's near park la brea.
Pasadena: cool little city, only know of 1 or 2 ppl living out there.

So really, anywhere works. depends on what you want