Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Looking for Supplement Recommendation  (Read 1183 times)

DaubertsDaughter

• View Profile
    • Email
Looking for Supplement Recommendation
« on: January 12, 2008, 12:30:57 PM »
From what I hear, I have a rather unusual 1.5L semester schedule:  Criminal Procedure, Civ Pro II, Property and Administrative Law.  I could use suggestions for supplements and study aids. 

I've looked at the E&E's for all the subjects.  Civ Pro doesn't seem to be nearly as helpful in the second semester, and all the Crim Pro supplements are split into two volumes?? 

Any recommendations on where to start?  After last semester I decided I really want to focus more on answering problems and synthesizing the material as I go.  Should I just go by Siegel's Q&A for every subject?

Mina

• View Profile
Re: Looking for Supplement Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 03:41:17 PM »
I think relying on Siegel for your course may be detrimental since he is not your professor, & will not be reading your exam.

Alamo79

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 03:48:54 PM »
My recommendation: don't bother with supplements unless written by the professor who's teaching your course (depending on property, this may apply to you--I'm pretty sure I go to your school given your course list). 

Here's why I think supplements are overrated: to get value out of it, you have to apply only the parts of the supplement that correspond to what your professor is teaching: is what's mentioned in the supplement applicable to and consistent w/the textbook and the professor's approach to teaching the class?  If not, you'll end up learning material irrelevant (and sometimes even contradictory) to what you learn in class, which gets you nothing or negative value on the exam.

Many will disagree, but I've done well w/o supplements.  The only extra materials I use are the Siegel's sample exam question and answer books in the few days before finals, just to practice applying the material.  Good luck, whatever you do.

Lawbster

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 09:32:10 PM »
CrimPro depends on the type of course you have. Is it the typical Miranda/fourth amendment/Katz course, or is it the process course where you basically see every step of the arrest process from arrest to trial and appeal.

DaubertsDaughter

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 01:54:55 PM »
I'm going to guess that crim pro is of the first variety.  So far we've discussed Mapp and Katz.  Prof gave a tentative syllabus covering the first half of the semester, and it looks like we'll pretty much be discussing the 4th amendment until March.