Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: depressed w/ my situation...any words of wisdom?  (Read 5395 times)

TheNewGuy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: depressed w/ my situation...any words of wisdom?
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2008, 06:38:41 PM »
I'm doing a program the school "assigns" to people with low gpas re: answering exam questions.  I figure it will help.  I should be right in the middle of my class, but b/c I was soooo desperate over break and thought I failed out, I made some appointments, and learned about this.  I think it will help enormously.

onlyblue85

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2008, 12:02:54 AM »
I have a really unique personal experience.  I am the type of person who gets really uptight when I try to push myself.  So when I really pushed myself and worked extremely hard in Contracts, I ended up not being able to separate the trees from the forest on the exam.  Result:  C.  Now, I didn't care about Torts.  In fact, I sacrified Torts for Contracts.  But I still did the readings, went to class and studied for the exam.  Result:   A. 

I don't know if we're in a similar situation, but sometimes I find it's better to take a step back and not take yourself too seriously.  Just let your natural intutions fall through.  It's like writing a paper in college about a topic you're really passionate about.  You end up writing emotionally instead of writing dispassionately, resulting in a poor grade.  If you just treated the assignment dispassionately, doing your research and arguing in a nuanced way, obviously your grade would have been better.  It may be as simple as that. 

As for this ridiculous idea that legal reasoning is somehow ingrained, that's the most dangerous advice anyone can give.  Legal reasoning is like writing.  You can never be perfect.  You can always improve.   

And take the legal reasoning class.  You already have the advantage of actually caring about law school.  You'll probably be in a class where most people don't care about law school.  See this as an opportunity to regain your confidence, because the competition is likely to be inferior to you. 

uh huh.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2008, 08:34:50 AM »
I have a really unique personal experience.  I am the type of person who gets really uptight when I try to push myself. 

You're not that special. This is the problem for most mediocre law students.

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2008, 10:49:04 AM »
Everyone who got into a top tier law school has displayed some critical thinking or reasoning ability for the adcomms to take a risk on that person.

Take the legal reasoning class.  Be happy that you school actually cares about you making it through.

I have found this information to be true.  Knowing how to do legal reasoning is best done by seeing lots of practice tests and answers.  You can learn a lot by reading and outlining practice tests and answers.  However, it is still not a bad idea to take the class. 

And, legal reasoning is not innate-- not by a long shot.  The truth is, after three years of law school, if you can't do legal reasoning, something is wrong.  But in reality, grades are a test of who figures out how to do it first. 

if you're grasping the material and ur profs are saying ur reasoning and organization are bad then you need to take more practice tests....i did ok but i know that i would have done better had i not concentrated so much on making the perfect outline just took practice tests. the A+ students don't know more they just got the info down on paper better. the only way to master this is to take practice tests....ur limited by time and you feel anxiety and ur rushed so w/o proper practice ur answers are disorganized and piece mail and u forget simple stuff that loses points....im changing my study approach this year and gearing everything towards the exam....some of the people who got A+s did not know the law better than me, did not know the cases as well as i did, and some were complete idiots all class, but they practiced taking exams and got the better grade.
smujd2007 is now an Attorney at Law!

onlyblue85

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2008, 09:19:06 PM »
I have a really unique personal experience.  I am the type of person who gets really uptight when I try to push myself. 

You're not that special. This is the problem for most mediocre law students.

I HAD this problem first semester.  I've adjusted and am now a good but not great student.  The point of my post was to cheer this guy/gal up and let him/her know that you can improve.