Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: depressed w/ my situation...any words of wisdom?  (Read 5147 times)

brewha

• Sr. Citizen
  • I drank much of this after the Bar Exam....
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: depressed w/ my situation...any words of wisdom?
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 05:54:47 PM »
I am at a top 50 law school, I consider myself a reasonably intelligent and extremely motivated person. I had really wanted to get good grades, but instead got 3 Cs (one C-) and one B. This was a hard blow to me, as I had been studying very hard. My profs tell me I got all substantive issues down and understand the material, but my organization of answers is problematic and my legal reasoning is weak.

The department has recommended me for the Legal Reasoning option next semester instead of Moot Court. I am extremely depressed about this because I know I have it in me to work smarter and absorb all the feedback from my professors. I KNOW I can do this, but my school is making me feel like a loser and placing me in a program that I do not think I need to be in for a whole semester. Maybe I am being difficult - but sometimes, you just know that you will work your ass off, do things differently, and you just want a 2nd chance. Has anyone had this experience? I don't know how to convince the department that I would prefer not to be singled out into that class.

I even cried in front of the department, I feel very ashamed and weak but inside, I just want another chance. Sometimes I feel like I just want to give up all my hopes of getting a well-paying job, and maybe I should. Is there any hope for me to turn myself around? I think I just need one success story of someone with straight Cs or something who turned around and got all As and Bs and proved everybody wrong the 2nd semester.
My situation is bad, my GPA is below that of good standing, and I desperately need some words of wisdom. These days, it's been hard just to keep my head up and not feel like crying. For me, quitting is not an option.

It's been a while since I've been on here, but I feel compelled to offer my assistance remind the OP that WalMart is always hiring. 
pudding is delightful

dreamer4425

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 01:07:51 PM »
Hi, thank you to those who gave their thoughtful opinion. I have to admit that after reading them, I feel things are a bit more in perspective. I really appreciate the supportive words.

For the last 2 posters, I don't know who you are, but my situation is not "crap" that I came up with, nor was I looking for a mean comment. If you cannot empathize, then why hit the REPLY button and actually spend time saying something that is inconsiderate? Sorry if it doesn't apply to you, but some of us use this board to seek or offer support in the worst of times. While you have a right to post your opinion in a situation that sounds unrealistic or mocking at other people, I don't think mine is so over-the-top that it warrants some mean and ignorant comment.

I will keep the board posted on how I do second semester; hopefully it will help someone out who was in my position and didn't have a place/person to turn to after feeling completely hopeless and dejected.

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 02:00:02 PM »
if you're grasping the material and ur profs are saying ur reasoning and organization are bad then you need to take more practice tests....i did ok but i know that i would have done better had i not concentrated so much on making the perfect outline just took practice tests. the A+ students don't know more they just got the info down on paper better. the only way to master this is to take practice tests....ur limited by time and you feel anxiety and ur rushed so w/o proper practice ur answers are disorganized and piece mail and u forget simple stuff that loses points....im changing my study approach this year and gearing everything towards the exam....some of the people who got A+s did not know the law better than me, did not know the cases as well as i did, and some were complete idiots all class, but they practiced taking exams and got the better grade.
...man, you was who you was before you got here

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2008, 10:21:02 PM »
More practice tests doesn't help you at all if you can't comprehend what you're doing wrong.  The difference between a C- student and A+ students isn't that they "put it down on paper better" and it's not organization.  The C- student tries to memorize the answer; the A+ student has the critical thinking ability to apply the answer and understands the rule within the context of normative theories and public policy.  Part of it may be communicating the ideas, but a gap that wide (particularly if you're a student at a low-ranked school) indicates that the C- student isn't "getting" the point.

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2008, 10:29:11 PM »
More practice tests doesn't help you at all if you can't comprehend what you're doing wrong.  The difference between a C- student and A+ students isn't that they "put it down on paper better" and it's not organization.  The C- student tries to memorize the answer; the A+ student has the critical thinking ability to apply the answer and understands the rule within the context of normative theories and public policy.  Part of it may be communicating the ideas, but a gap that wide (particularly if you're a student at a low-ranked school) indicates that the C- student isn't "getting" the point.

which is why i qualified with if your getting the material...C- to A+ is extreme but the difference between an A+ and a B+ is not usually lack of "getting" the point its the application and organization which is what i meant about getting it down on paper....
...man, you was who you was before you got here

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2008, 10:58:37 PM »
I think the best thing to do is write a practice exam and have a law school professor or 3L with good grades look it over.  And don't get someone who will sugarcoat it for you.

jk23

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2008, 01:00:18 AM »
I know of someone at top 25-50 law school who was in your shoes last year. She did very poorly her first semester (maybe bottom 75% of her class) and it wasn't because she wasn't smart enough. It was because she didn't know how to take law school exams. She was very depressed and cried a lot. Second semester she worked harder and really focused on her exam-taking skills. Sure enough, her grades were significantly higher putting her in the top third of her class. This was good enough to land her a very high paying job for this upcoming summer. She did a good job explaining her low first semester grades and obviously interviewed well. So cheer up kid, it is possible. Just work on taking those tests.

As for the legal reasoning class, I suggest you take it. I heard classes like that basically teach you how to write "A" exams. But it may be different at your school.

Pauper

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2008, 01:53:03 AM »
Pardon me for butting in -- I'm a practicing attorney.  I graduated at the age of 40, and am a sole practitioner.  Civil.  No secretary, no receptionist.  Overhead LOW.  Interesting cases.  STRANGE cases.  I was a C-C+ student.  I entered with 450 students and graduated with 128.  Learn to WRITE!!  Fact pattern -- recognize the issue.  Write:  Negligence is an act or ommission of a duty recognized by law by the defendant that causes some damge to the plaintiff.  Then:  John did not (et nauseum cetera).  English Composition is the best BA before law school.  Me, I was a Jazz Performance major.  Writing is like dominos (not falling, but matching) as is bebop.  Get to point A to Z cleanly and efficiently.  It took me about 8 months to figure out what the Professors wanted.  They want writing, rules of laws, and applications.  Who cares about case names or your conclusion?  Write.  And have a beer now and then.  --Pauper

rhesusman

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2008, 02:57:34 PM »
I'd take the legal reasoning class.  Moot court isn't all it's cracked up to be.  I'll bet that you'll be surprised to see a lot of other intelligent students in that legal reasoning class.  Grades are not a function of intelligence.  I agree with what someone else said that you should work with the law school instead of against it here.  If you come across as resistant to what they're convinced are efforts to help you, they'll be less likely to help you in the future because they'll think you'll blow them off.

Esplanade

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2008, 05:16:44 PM »
I used to come on LSD during my first year to get advice, etc., and the one thing I learned through this experience was that this discussion board is filled with people who are genuinely full of crap. As I read through various threads during my first year, I started noticing that replies to questions had the same general attitude. This attitude, usually in response to questions such as this one, resulted in responses that were disguised as sympathetic but were really crap. The people on here are either one of two types of students: 1) students who do not perform well in law school but come on here and pretend they do, and thus give faulty advice; or 2) students who do well and prey on posts like this one to reaffirm their self-worth by indirectly keeping you down.

I have no advice for you, nor will I pretend I do. Deal with this situation on your own or ask close friends and/or family members for advice. The people on here naturally do not care about your situation, and they will only make you feel worse. The sooner you stop reading the replies to your question, the sooner the right, natural solutions will arise.

I am at a top 50 law school, I consider myself a reasonably intelligent and extremely motivated person. I had really wanted to get good grades, but instead got 3 Cs (one C-) and one B. This was a hard blow to me, as I had been studying very hard. My profs tell me I got all substantive issues down and understand the material, but my organization of answers is problematic and my legal reasoning is weak.

The department has recommended me for the Legal Reasoning option next semester instead of Moot Court. I am extremely depressed about this because I know I have it in me to work smarter and absorb all the feedback from my professors. I KNOW I can do this, but my school is making me feel like a loser and placing me in a program that I do not think I need to be in for a whole semester. Maybe I am being difficult - but sometimes, you just know that you will work your ass off, do things differently, and you just want a 2nd chance. Has anyone had this experience? I don't know how to convince the department that I would prefer not to be singled out into that class.

I even cried in front of the department, I feel very ashamed and weak but inside, I just want another chance. Sometimes I feel like I just want to give up all my hopes of getting a well-paying job, and maybe I should. Is there any hope for me to turn myself around? I think I just need one success story of someone with straight Cs or something who turned around and got all As and Bs and proved everybody wrong the 2nd semester.
My situation is bad, my GPA is below that of good standing, and I desperately need some words of wisdom. These days, it's been hard just to keep my head up and not feel like crying. For me, quitting is not an option.