Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: depressed w/ my situation...any words of wisdom?  (Read 5146 times)

dreamer4425

• View Profile
depressed w/ my situation...any words of wisdom?
« on: January 11, 2008, 08:00:24 PM »
I am at a top 50 law school, I consider myself a reasonably intelligent and extremely motivated person. I had really wanted to get good grades, but instead got 3 Cs (one C-) and one B. This was a hard blow to me, as I had been studying very hard. My profs tell me I got all substantive issues down and understand the material, but my organization of answers is problematic and my legal reasoning is weak.

The department has recommended me for the Legal Reasoning option next semester instead of Moot Court. I am extremely depressed about this because I know I have it in me to work smarter and absorb all the feedback from my professors. I KNOW I can do this, but my school is making me feel like a loser and placing me in a program that I do not think I need to be in for a whole semester. Maybe I am being difficult - but sometimes, you just know that you will work your ass off, do things differently, and you just want a 2nd chance. Has anyone had this experience? I don't know how to convince the department that I would prefer not to be singled out into that class.

I even cried in front of the department, I feel very ashamed and weak but inside, I just want another chance. Sometimes I feel like I just want to give up all my hopes of getting a well-paying job, and maybe I should. Is there any hope for me to turn myself around? I think I just need one success story of someone with straight Cs or something who turned around and got all As and Bs and proved everybody wrong the 2nd semester.
My situation is bad, my GPA is below that of good standing, and I desperately need some words of wisdom. These days, it's been hard just to keep my head up and not feel like crying. For me, quitting is not an option.

Non_Prophet

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: depressed w/ my situation...any words of wisdom?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 08:08:28 PM »
I don't have any words of wisdom, but I do think it is worth considering whether the program might be beneficial.  One can only absorb so much from receiving feedback.  From what you have said it seems like the class is geared toward your problem.  Likely, the people who run your school have been doing what they do for a long time, and the instructor of the class will be able to help you with legal reasoning.

You spotted all the substantive issues, this class will help the rest it fall into place; if you have to do it you might as well embrace it.

Is is possible to take both this class and moot court by adding additional credits?

Regardless, I sympathize.  It is sad that so much depends on grades, which are determined at the end of 15 weeks by one 3 hour test.  I am still waiting for my grades back; I'll probably be in the same boat.

Keep your head up-

rollingthedice

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 08:21:33 PM »
Sorry to hear about your misfortune, I hope it all works out for you.  Having said that, I think that if you do what the administration wants you to, they are more likely to work with you on any issues that may come up in the future.  Also, this is your first time in law school, I assume the administration has more experience than that.  They have made a career of helping students and so you should carefully consider what they want you to do, as they may have the right answer even if it is not the answer you want to hear.  Best of luck with everything this semester.

Delusional

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 08:59:28 PM »
I am so sorry to hear about what happened to you.  I know exactly what you are talking about.  You work your tail off and you know you can do it but for some reason, others just dont see it that way.  Take heart.  I dont have much words of wisdom to render.  The only thing I can say is that you have to be resilient at this time.  This is not the time to break down and give up.  if you do that, then all the hardwork you put in previously (heaven forbid) will all go to waste. As unreasonable as the program may seem, I would go ahead with it and just do it.  But you have to keep that fire burning.  You mentioned that you feel so weak inside.  That is understandable and it5s Ok for you to feel that way for a while.  But you must get back up, you must keep pushing no matter how hard it may seem.  Only you can see you, no matter how much you try to convince them otherwise about that program, they may not listen.  So take it as one step back, but make that step count in the future.  Do it but keep your fire, keep your resilience, keep tugging, there' no substitute for hardwork.  It 'll be fine, it may not seem like that at the moment but it will be worth it in the end.

resipsaloquitur

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 09:36:39 PM »
It sounds like you should seriously consider the recommendation.  Sounds to me like the school's got your back.  They are offering it as a benefit to you.  They have experience with the students in similar situations. 

As upset as you are and however much you "feel" like you can do better, try not to base this decision on emotion (or, if you are going to, try rather to imagine how good it would feel come final grades and to see a shift up in your grades because you really focused in on that area of weakness using the schools resources).  Ask the school what kind of difference the course has made in student grades.  Would they offer such a program if it was ineffective?  Unlikely!

TheNewGuy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 01:22:22 AM »
I am at one of the better tier 2's in terms of numbers, for whatever that's worth.  As of right now my cumulative GPA is a 2.8 with 10 out of 14 hours having been submitted--- the curve is flexible... I'm guessing the median tends to be a B --- I'm expecting to fall into the bottom quarter.

I will just have to find a way to utilize my aptitude, either in the career field or outside of law school. I've always looked at scenarios (e.g. hypos) a little *differently* than the norm -- I don't have a great reaction speed or the most common sense, but sometimes I'll come up with a piece to the puzzle that not everyone sees. 

I don't think law exams give out too many subjectivity points, and rightfully so. But it doesn't mean I'm a dumbass.

I'm thinking of looking into a science degree (another 2 years at least, yippie!!!) and seeing if that would open the door for IP so I could WORRY LESS about law school grades (so counter-productive anyways)

... anyone have any leads / ideas in this direction??

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 08:59:26 AM »
Do the legal reasoning. If the issue for you is organization and reasoning, this will help you for legal writing -- including writing documents such as an appellate brief, which is the substantive part of moot court. You'll also want to get the organization and reasoning down before you take a bar exam. I agree with the poster that says it sounds like the school's got your back on this one.

If your ultimate goal of law school is to do appellate work, which is what moot court covers, there's generally a lot of moot court competitions that you can get into past the first year. You'd still have an option to do the 15 minutes before a three mock-judge panel, and you'd probably produce a better brief due to your legal reasoning class.

None of this, including your grades, means that you aren't intelligent or didn't work hard. The grades are an indication that you have skills to work on. They're giving you a way to work on those skills. Consider the option in this light.

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 04:23:59 PM »
No amount of studying, working harder, flashcards, or drills will help you with legal reasoning/analysis.  It's not something you can memorize.  It's a skill that you must learn if you don't possess it innately.

Legal reasoning and analysis is a skill that you MUST have to be employable.  And taking the class and doing better next semester will give you a much stronger hook with employers to explain away your poor performance.  ("I know my first semester grades were not very strong.  However, I took a legal reasoning class, and things fell into place after that.  As you can see, I subsequently earned grades of A-, A- and B+.")

And crying in front of your department?  Come on.     

nocomply

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 04:59:36 PM »
Take advantage of the opportunity that your school is offering - hell, embrace it - and stay positive and keep plugging.  Don't have an ego trip over being in this remedial type class, don't worry about what others will think about you.

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 05:04:55 PM »
I am at a top 50 law school, I consider myself a reasonably intelligent and extremely motivated person. I had really wanted to get good grades, but instead got 3 Cs (one C-) and one B. This was a hard blow to me, as I had been studying very hard. My profs tell me I got all substantive issues down and understand the material, but my organization of answers is problematic and my legal reasoning is weak.

The department has recommended me for the Legal Reasoning option next semester instead of Moot Court. I am extremely depressed about this because I know I have it in me to work smarter and absorb all the feedback from my professors. I KNOW I can do this, but my school is making me feel like a loser and placing me in a program that I do not think I need to be in for a whole semester. Maybe I am being difficult - but sometimes, you just know that you will work your ass off, do things differently, and you just want a 2nd chance. Has anyone had this experience? I don't know how to convince the department that I would prefer not to be singled out into that class.

I even cried in front of the department, I feel very ashamed and weak but inside, I just want another chance. Sometimes I feel like I just want to give up all my hopes of getting a well-paying job, and maybe I should. Is there any hope for me to turn myself around? I think I just need one success story of someone with straight Cs or something who turned around and got all As and Bs and proved everybody wrong the 2nd semester.
My situation is bad, my GPA is below that of good standing, and I desperately need some words of wisdom. These days, it's been hard just to keep my head up and not feel like crying. For me, quitting is not an option.

Total Flame.

Who the hell keeps coming up with this crap?