Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Study Law in a Law Office or Judge's Chambers  (Read 7340 times)

nicoletonyf

• View Profile
Study Law in a Law Office or Judge's Chambers
« on: January 11, 2008, 03:16:20 PM »
Hello there, have you ever heard about this program?
How can you find a attorney or a judge? I will move in LA in April, and I don't know anybody there.
Do you know someone who did it? Thanks Nicole

joemama

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Study Law in a Law Office or Judge's Chambers
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 03:52:52 AM »
it is a bad idea, you have almost no chance of passing the bar

vaplaugh

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 10:02:57 AM »
Never heard of any formal program...

You mean like an old-fashioned apprenticeship?

jd2008

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 04:02:04 PM »
California lets you start whenever you find a lawyer with 5 years good standing willing to take you. Other states require a year of ABA law school first. California requires 4 year internship. I dont know the length of the others.

I say go for it. You might not pass the bar, but I promise your education will be better than from an online degree. Afterall, you'll be in the heat of it doing the real thing with people who had to pass the dumb thing themselves. Of course they'll know how to prep you for it since they did it. Can you say.....DUH??.....If you can do it, then do it, go for it man.

Problem for me is I dont know anyone that would take me for it. Mabey you do for you. Also, you could still do an "executive JD" or hell even that novus law school if you want to risk the waste of money on it. Point is, you can still read the books and take the course online and be in it too. Plus that way you dont have to worry about grades, just the real stuff.

Also, they have bar prep course. You can take those and learn more in them than the full JD degree as far as bar passing goes. Think about it, we all took the LSAT here. Those who took the LSAT prep course did the best. Common sense says the same thing applies here.

Good luck. Let us know how it progresses for you.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 11:07:11 PM »
This option is usually best left for paralegals and other non-lawyer legal professionals who have a good amount of experience working with substantive legal issues.
With an apprenticeship... if you lack a long legal background, or a good legal education, well.... first good luck on the bar. and second, good luck finding employment.

If you're interested in this route, look up a legal assistant program, or legal document assistant program.  Take a few months, get some legal training, get a job as a legal assistant, and then take it from there.