Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Really could use some advice...  (Read 1335 times)

jeff112

• View Profile
Really could use some advice...
« on: January 11, 2008, 02:14:30 AM »
Just got my grades and managed straight A's at a T2.

So, any advice on what to do, all?  Something in me is telling me that I should seriously consider transferring, but I'm not sure if I should restrict my applications to the T14, the T20, or the entire top 50.

If I do transfer, how do I go about asking for a LOR from a professor without spreading the word that I'm considering transferring?  And what the heck do I write on a personal statement?  I've always been bad at those and I'm intimidated by how to phrase a letter saying how much I want to go to another school without offending my present one.  In truth, I actually LIKE my current school, but something in me says my opportunities would be greater at the T14 even if I remain top student for the next two years, which is clearly not a foregone conclusion.

So, in short, help!  :)

brightline

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Really could use some advice...
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 04:10:36 PM »
Apply to Gtown EA Transfer now.

Get a letter from profs who are not involved in the school's administration if you can. Tell them while you like your current school a lot, you are looking for more portability in terms of national job options. Personal statements are easy for transfer apps, you just say what about the new school you like without downgrading your current school. Not that hard.

I would not look at any school below the top 25 or so unless it is the state school in your home state and you want to practice there. Even then, it might be questionable.

Check out the transferapps yahoogroup.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transferapps/

osakakid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 01:31:46 PM »
What could it hurt to apply to a spread of schools?

I think if yo get the same grades next semester, Northwestern would be highly attainable.  I know someone with similar grades from chicago-kent who transferred successfully to NW. 

TPS Report

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 02:00:37 PM »
Columbia takes around 45 transfers each year.  Give it a shot!

DH52

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 09:13:52 AM »
when applying, ask about the opportunities to participate in a journal/moot ct./mock trial.  some schools say that they hold spaces on journals for transfer students but then you find out that it's only a couple of spaces.  it might take a lot of work to learn the truth about it.  this is probably only a big deal if you want to clerk or be a prof., though.