Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Grades?  (Read 3110 times)

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Grades?
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 02:18:32 PM »
I wouldn't say it's dire right now, but plans are being made for the possibility even though the government isn't talking about them (I have a good friend who has some contacts in the state gov't that have dropped some comments).  Essentially, our water level is pretty far down at this point.  If it runs out, they'll have to evacuate the region, since there will be no water for food, sewage, hospital care, etc.  The worst case (and I think unfortunately likely scenario) if it happens is going to be a significant economic collapse of the SE which will effect the entire country.  You're talking of millions of people out of work, not paying mortgages, looting on a mass scale, all of the major corporations shutting down headquarters here in Atlanta.  It's a scary prospect, but hopefully one that you can see coming.  It won't be overnight, as we'll have some warning of when our water will probably run out.

While we have been getting more rain the last month or so, we haven't come close to rebounding to any sort of normal level.  Unless our rain level drastically increases (or we get the remnants of a hurricane next year), this summer will lower the water level even more, and the cycle will just continue with less water each year.  It doesn't hurt that growth and development are continuous, and more and more demands are being put on an already stressed system. Sooner or later, Lake Lanier is going to run out of water.  Doesn't help that the Corps of Engineers keeps releasing millions of gallons a day (more than the level of water coming in) for a handful of fisherman in Florida who lose their livelihood if some mussels die.

There are talks of digging a new reservoir north of Atlanta, but they've only started working on the plans.  There's years of red tape and Congressional hearings to go through.  And I'm also wondering how they'll fill a new reservoir, when we're not getting enough rain to fill the one we've already got.

I wouldn't not return here if this is where you want to be.  I'd seriously consider whether to buy any property here though.  My SO and I purchased a house last spring before the real news of it was coming out and going dry became a real concern.  I can say that if we'd waited 6 more months to buy, we probably would have made the decision not to do so at least for a few more years to see where things were going.  After all, things can all change with one hurricane, as I've heard parts of Texas were in a similar situation a few years ago, but with even less available water, and all it took was one storm to not only refill reservoirs but also cause flooding. 

And sorry to hijack the thread...

afer1500

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - alexfiu1331
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2008, 01:09:14 AM »
So Civ pro is worth how many credits?

My understanding is as follows...

A
B+
B-
C+
and maybe a B- in Torts...

This leaves you w/ a gpa right around 3 correct?

I can understand concerns about the scholarship but by no means do I consider this grades poor..

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2008, 09:37:55 AM »
Quite a bit of that is reassuring to hear, actually.

And it looks like you made a good choice by not listening to the nay-sayers.  With the climate change we're seeing, areas used to high water levels are now facing droughts.  The most interesting legal aspect of this is the fight between GA, AL and FL about the water in the Chattahoochie.  State officials seem to be acting like children, and unable to recognize each others' needs.  I think your services are likely to be in high demand in the future.  :)

confusedatquinnipiac

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2008, 02:58:09 PM »
So Civ pro is worth how many credits?

My understanding is as follows...

A
B+
B-
C+
and maybe a B- in Torts...

This leaves you w/ a gpa right around 3 correct?

I can understand concerns about the scholarship but by no means do I consider this grades poor..

Actually I mistyped... its a B- in legal skills, not B+, but I am almost positive i did better than a B- in Torts.... Crim is 3 credits, Legal skills 2 (and 2 for Legal skills 2 spring semester which is graded seperately) 4 credits for torts and 6 in total for contracts (25% of grade fall semester and 75% spring) and 5 civ pro (25% fall-75% spring) and then the other two classes in the spring are property (4 credits) and constitutional (4 credits)

So right now the only "real grades" I have (excluding the TBA torts) are the C+ crim and the B- legal skills which averages to a 2.466666- which is the reason for my panic :(

middlelanguage

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2008, 07:32:57 PM »

5. How do they consider law school grades as far as further education? I imagine I am probably barred from ever obtaining an LLM but I hope to someday get a PhD in my undergrad field (History/Poli Sci). Would they at all consider my law school grades?

Thank you for your attention on this matter 

If you go to get a Ph.D. in history or polisci, the graduate schools will *look* at your grades, but they will not be important. You have to do well as an undergrad and show an ability to research and write. Law school is nothing like researching for history or polisci, the latter being highly quantitative.

confusedatquinnipiac

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 11:16:10 AM »
So I ended up getting an A- in my 4 credit torts class, so the only "real" grades I have for the fall are the 4 credit A-, the 3 credit C+ and the 2 credit B-, which averages out to a 3.0.... not great but not as bad as I had expected; any idea where this would be as far as class rank when the curve is somewhere between a B- and a C+?