Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Phone Interview Vs Face to Face  (Read 590 times)

jinglestar

• View Profile
Phone Interview Vs Face to Face
« on: January 10, 2008, 06:47:12 PM »
So I received an opportunity for a phone interview in a city about a 5 hour drive away from where I am in school at. I'm a 1L at a T20 and it is a non paying internship at a government agency. I really prefer the phone interview over a face to face interview because I would rather not do 10 hours of traveling in middle of the semester. However, I'm concerned that the odds of getting selected are higher with a face to face interview. I had indicated to the agency that I would consider the possibility of driving to their city but was told that it is really not necessary because they conduct many interviews over the phone.

What do you guys think? Are face to face interview odds higher?

eli250

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Phone Interview Vs Face to Face
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 07:13:56 PM »
I had a similar situation last year, except it was a paying fellowship and the city was an hour and a half away.  The program involved interviewing with multiple agencies and they would make offers based on the interviews.  I was able to work my schedule to do face-face interviews with a few agencies and phone interviews with a few others.  I got offers from all the agencies I had face-face interviews with and rejected by all the agencies I had phone interviews with.  There is a lot to be said for making an impression in a face to face interview.  Then again, a five hour drive is pretty rough for a non-paying gig.

rollingthedice

• View Profile
Re: Phone Interview Vs Face to Face
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 08:04:23 PM »
I think it could go either way depending on you.  If you are likable and sociable and do well in interview type situations obvious the face to face will provide you a benefit, but if you have anxiety issues or do not present yourself well then it seems plausible that you would benefit significantly from a phone interview.  I would have a tough time driving 10 hours during the semester for a non paying position.