Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: puppy in LS/summer  (Read 2509 times)

kerminsky

• View Profile
Re: puppy in LS/summer
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2008, 11:36:32 PM »
I absolutely understand the "need" for a dog. They are great companions. And I absolutely love taking walks with my beastie. 

I think that you've given it some thought, which I really respect. Lots of people are too impulsive about taking on a new pet.  They are lured in by the cuteness and they forget about the responsibility that's required.

Kudos to you for recognizing that this is an issue that requires a bit more thought.

Lots of luck finding your new furry friend.

Thanks.  Yeah, I've given the whole thing a lot of thought, and it's only because I want a good environment for the puppy that I haven't gotten one yet.  I am paranoid about the time and effort involved in the whole affair, but I suspect that being cognizant of such concerns means that I will, one way or another, be a decent owner.

Eva Destruction

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2008, 09:07:46 AM »
I'm a sucker for pictures of cute puppies. So, when you get your puppy, don't be afraid to share a few pictures. ;)
Hermione Granger is a gunner.

olive

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2008, 10:01:57 AM »
I agree with almost everything said in this post.

Getting a puppy is a HUGE commitment, and will be very difficult if you are going to be a summer associate out of town. It's much easier with a roommate or even a friend nearby who can help you during the day.

I understand the burning desire for a pet -- I wanted cats for years but had to wait because I lived on campus as an undergrad and my 1L roommate was allergic. The week she moved out I adopted 2 kittens from a shelter and couldn't be happier. They are a big responsibility (food, scooping litter, vet bills) but it's well worth it. However, I don't have to worry about training them to go out, and they can be left alone for much longer amounts of time if needed. Most apartments are also more accepting of 2 cats than a large dog.

Right now might seem to be a great time to get a puppy but I'd caution you to wait a little longer. Figure out where you are aiming to be your 2L summer and after graduation and how conducive a dog will be for that lifestyle. Think about getting a roommate. A puppy will be very time consuming and your 1L grades are very important. It might be best to wait until after your 2L job search is over (you might be flying to interviews multiple times a week -- who will take your dog out?) -- which will also let you better establish your future plans.