Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: puppy in LS/summer  (Read 2376 times)

Eva Destruction

• View Profile
Re: puppy in LS/summer
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 11:50:54 AM »
...  I couldn't imagine going back to that.  I missed having dogs when I didn't have one for practical reasons.

I agree. I love having a dog far too much to not have one. Even if they are a commitment, I still think it's worth it.
Hermione Granger is a gunner.

coquita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2008, 02:00:59 PM »
As everyone else said, I would reconsider getting a puppy. A dog at one year will most likely be house trained by that point and you will not have to wake up in the middle of night, odd hours to walk it. Also by that time they have outgrown annoying puppy behavior such as nipping.

Just make sure you are willing to make a 10-15 year commitment w/ a dog. Every time I see someone post their dog on craigslist b/c they are "moving" makes me sick. I moved cross country w/ two medium sized dogs and found a place to live...so that's no excuse to give up your dog.

You should probably apply to be a foster before you get a dog. That is what I did with my dogs. I fostered each one and when I realized 1) I had the time to commit and 2) they were a perfect fit for my family I adopted them.

And lastly...w/ some dogs you do not have to wake up at the same time every morning to walk them. With puppies you will have to so they can have a schedule.  But my dogs do not wake me up to be walked and as long as I walk them around 11 p.m. they can wait until I am awake to get waled. But some dogs will wake you up at 7 am every morning to get walked.

middlelanguage

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 08:11:39 PM »
Let me speak from experience. I am a 3L, but my SO and I adopted a dog this summer during my Summer Associate Position. The dog, who lies next to me right now, was allegedly 1-year-old when we adopted, but he seemed younger; he is a purebread. I wouldn't recommend getting a puppy (a friend of my in LS did this and it was a lot of work). Get a full grown dog that is already partly trained.

The up-front cost will likely be the greatest--adoption fee, vet fees, crate, etc. There are *always* emergencies, which cost another few hundred dollars. Over the summer, we got a dog-walker. It was $10 a day for one walk in the middle of the day. The service gave us a modest discount because we adopted our dog. It was a great service and definitely worth it.

The dog is also a lot of work, but that is relative. Personally, I like the fact that I have to get up and go outside three to four times a day with my pup. The only downside is that you cannot leave your dog for long periods of time, as one poster already noted. That, however, is a small price to pay as I look over and see my dog, sleeping like a person, head back and reclined on my couch.

Good luck.

contrarian

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 09:51:53 PM »
Deadly to your future success?  Get a grip.  It's a d**mn dog.  If you want it, get one.  If not, don't get one.  You make the decision just like everyone else and stop acting like a law student by being so overly dramatic about relatively trivial things. 

I'm guessing you've never lived on your own and owned a pet. 

Getting a cat or a dog is a long term commitment and it CAN affect your future prospects.  I have a cat, and have had to turn down consulting jobs that would require me to be out of town for long periods of time.  I went with a cat because I can leave her alone for a week (i've gone up to 7 days) alone with plenty of food and water to carry her.  But you can't do this with a dog. 

As for dog-walking services, personally I wouldn't trust anybody whom I didn't know pretty damn well to have access to my home.  Call me paranoid. 

Plus you have to plan to give that animal care and attention for the rest of it's life.  There's a lot of considerations that should go into making that decision.  That is not a trivial decision to make. 

dandlewood

• AOL Instant Messenger - bmojob
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2008, 09:36:34 AM »
Just wanted to Chime in, since I was in this position about 6 months ago.

I wanted a puppy too, because I'd always grown up with a dog and it's something I want in my life and I knew I wouldn't have time after I get a job to train a puppy appropriately.  So I did. I love her and she's great, but she does add a lot of complexity to my life and there are certain things you should consider.

No More:
Vacations without finding a dog sitter
Clean/undamaged furniture (my couch still smells like Pee...)
Personal Schedule. (you have a family schedule now, be home by certain hours to take care of the dog or else)
Loose money (vet bills add up in the first year.  Fixing a dog can cost up to 400 dollars)
Sleep (Dogs like to go out when they get up.  Either take them out, or find Pee in your residence or their crate.)
Absolute Concentration (Dogs like to Play. Puppys NEED to play.)
And many more...

Just some things to think about.  I wouldn't trade my pup for the world, but I have a SO and we talked this all out before getting her.  Best of luck!
Made: St Thomas, Florida Coastal
Kiss of Death:Miami, American, Rutgers, Villanova
Paying back the Loan Shark:
Pending: Nova, Widener, Temple, Florida State, Howard, Drexel, Dusquesne, Penn State

Eva Destruction

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2008, 03:52:12 PM »
My fully grown dog had a medical emergency and it was an unexpected $1700.00 expense.

Just something to think about.

kerminsky

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2008, 12:12:47 AM »
I appreciate all the responses.  If anyone cares, my conclusion is that I need a dog to get exercise and maintain sanity, and law school's the best time to get one as a puppy, so I'll get one the beginning of 2L year when it has a full year to grow before I work in the summer again.  My family has a history of high cholesterol and I'm living a very sedentary lifestyle right now.  I think the health benefits alone make it worth the time commitment.  I'm not really concerned about costs.  I honestly don't know what people need with all the money SA positions pay, except to pay off LS debt -- which should be paid off in a few years anyway at the market pay rate. 

I may foster a dog or two this semester to get a feel for the breed and to save them from euthanization.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2008, 07:11:23 AM »
I would just keep in mind your job search plans for first semester 2L; if you have a puppy at home, you can't board her until she has all of her shots. This means unless you have someone willing to spend the night with him/her, you can't travel for interviews/callbacks.

kerminsky

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2008, 10:11:39 AM »
I would just keep in mind your job search plans for first semester 2L; if you have a puppy at home, you can't board her until she has all of her shots. This means unless you have someone willing to spend the night with him/her, you can't travel for interviews/callbacks.

Agreed.  I have a couple of friends willing to do so.

Eva Destruction

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2008, 11:37:16 AM »
I absolutely understand the "need" for a dog. They are great companions. And I absolutely love taking walks with my beastie. 

I think that you've given it some thought, which I really respect. Lots of people are too impulsive about taking on a new pet.  They are lured in by the cuteness and they forget about the responsibility that's required.

Kudos to you for recognizing that this is an issue that requires a bit more thought.

Lots of luck finding your new furry friend.