Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Magistrate Judge  (Read 5129 times)

intel

• View Profile
Re: Magistrate Judge
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 06:14:25 PM »
ok so would a magistrate internship be more or less desirable than sate supreme court?

vaplaugh

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 02:57:53 PM »
ok so would a magistrate internship be more or less desirable than sate supreme court?

Less, probably.  Maybe not, depending on the district/state and whether you want to work for the feds.

emzies123

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 07:36:18 PM »
I received an offer for a family court judge (state court) and I interviewed today with a magistrate judge. I need to tell the family court judge ASAP (she's given me a month) and I won't find out about the magistrate judge until next week.
I don't know what kind of law I want to go into, but I may consider family law.
Any suggestions of what to do? Should I risk it?
University of Maryland 2010!!

KC#11

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 07:51:11 PM »
I received an offer for a family court judge (state court) and I interviewed today with a magistrate judge. I need to tell the family court judge ASAP (she's given me a month) and I won't find out about the magistrate judge until next week.
I don't know what kind of law I want to go into, but I may consider family law.
Any suggestions of what to do? Should I risk it?

Risk it.
Potential is just a word for something you haven't done yet.

emzies123

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 08:09:48 PM »
Even if I want to see what family law is like? I have very good grades at a T1 (but not T25) and I'm not all that concerned about prestige.  Do you think a state court judge would really be that bad for me?
University of Maryland 2010!!

KC#11

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2008, 08:14:05 PM »
Even if I want to see what family law is like? I have very good grades at a T1 (but not T25) and I'm not all that concerned about prestige.  Do you think a state court judge would really be that bad for me?

If you want to see what family law is like, I recommend this book: http://www.abanet.org/publiced/practical/books/family/

Potential is just a word for something you haven't done yet.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2008, 04:55:51 AM »
Do you think a state court judge would really be that bad for me?

How good at "Spin" are you.  Think about the following two statements:

#1 I worked for a state court judge in family law.
#2 I was offered a job at an FDC, but decided to work for a judge in state family court.  I was interested in family law, and learned XYZ..."

bb

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2008, 11:54:29 AM »
Can anyone else comment on working for administrative law judges?  Do lawyers really see them as a "joke"?  I'm having a tough time finding research on it. 

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2008, 12:03:58 PM »
I have a suggestion for you.  Do you know what kind of law or work environment you'd like to ultimately work in (or at least end up in after graduation?).  For example, say you want to work in a large firm, doing litigation.

I'd look for a few alums at your school that are working in the kind of jobs you're looking at over the summer.  Contact them (email might be best) and ask if they would have a few minutes to either meet for coffee or talk on the phone, and that you'd like to ask them a few questions of how they got into the field their working in, any advice for you as a 1L, etc.  It's called an "informational interview."

You'll get a couple of big benefits from this. First and foremost, you'll get the opinion of people who really matter on this question.  It really doesn't matter which job we think is more prestigious.  It's a little more relevant what the people who may be reviewing your resume think is more prestigous/worthwhile.  THey can tell you if they think you'd get more experience with one job over the other, or they may tell you it doesn't really matter.

Second, and possibly more important, you're networking and making contacts in the practice area you want to be in.

Good luck!

vaplaugh

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2008, 05:22:20 PM »
Can anyone else comment on working for administrative law judges?  Do lawyers really see them as a "joke"?  I'm having a tough time finding research on it. 

Only the jackasses.