Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How long does it take to cram for the MPRE and what did you use?  (Read 11474 times)

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How long does it take to cram for the MPRE and what did you use?
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 08:47:53 PM »
I did the BarBri lecture, and then the next week spend a bit of Thursday and Friday looking at questions. I had already taken PR, but I agree with the others that the class doesn't necessarily prepare you for the exam. I don't think I ever worried about timed conditions...I'd save that stress for the MBE.

I know a lot of people who walked out feeling that they hadn't passed. ('Passed' being relative, as it's really just how your score compares to your jurisdiction.) A few were right, but most did well enough the first time to not retake.

be10dwn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 08:50:57 PM »
man I scored an 85 right on the dot, which is what I needed.

lalalander

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 12:57:14 PM »
When do people usually take this thing? I know you can take it anytime. I'm a 1L and considering signing up to take it in August before my 2L year begins.

I'd like to get it out of the way and possibly be able to put it on my resume for 2L OCI.

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2008, 01:08:09 PM »
When do people usually take this thing? I know you can take it anytime. I'm a 1L and considering signing up to take it in August before my 2L year begins.

I'd like to get it out of the way and possibly be able to put it on my resume for 2L OCI.

I think it depends on the state.  In CO, you have to take it within 2 years of passing the bar (no earlier). Most people take it their 3L year, some take it their 2L year.  I am taking it my 2L year to get it out of the way.  Does your school require Legal Ethics as a class?  You might wait until after you take the class (or while enrolled since the MPRE falls mid-semester) just so that you can get a basic foundation of the rules.
2L

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2008, 04:44:20 PM »

The earliest I've ever heard of anyone taking it is summer AFTER 2L year.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2008, 05:04:05 PM »
Several people at my school take it their spring 2L semester since for many its either at the same time as the ethics class or just after they finished it.

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2008, 12:36:58 PM »
I took it Spring 2L

ngdo2007

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2008, 09:29:59 PM »
48 hours of actual studying is way more than enough.  I put in about 20-25 hours by memorizing the rules from the barbri book, taking the 3 practice tests in the back of the book and doing the practice test online. I didn't even take the actual class, just bought the book on ebay.  I got a 150.  The MPRE isn't bad at all so you won't need to kill yourself to get ready for it. 
Thanks for the input fellas.