Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What to do when you haven't heard from firms you sent resumes to??  (Read 1160 times)

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
Hey all, I'v heard back at a lot of firms so far, but also haven't heard any at a lot of firms. How should I approach this. I wanted to call, but froze at exactly what I should say. Should I say, "hello I sent you my resume for a summer associate possition a while back and haven't heard anything, would you like me to resend my resume?"
 I'm not really sure what to say.. Any suggestions? Thanks
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What to do when you haven't heard from firms you sent resumes to??
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 01:19:55 PM »
I wouldnt do anything.  They arent responding to you because either they arent interested in you (which is understandable cause 1Ls are useless to firms) or they are waiting to make a decision on giving interviews.  They havent lost your application, or at least, most likely they havent lost it.

Just wait it out.  If you are getting nervous, apply to secondary markets or do what 98% of the other 1Ls do and apply for government, judicial, or public interest internships so you will have a back up.  Be cautious about judicial internships though, because they are time sensitive and once you accept you cannot turn one down, or at least you shouldnt. 

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 02:15:45 PM »
I wouldnt do anything.  They arent responding to you because either they arent interested in you (which is understandable cause 1Ls are useless to firms) or they are waiting to make a decision on giving interviews.  They havent lost your application, or at least, most likely they havent lost it.

Just wait it out.  If you are getting nervous, apply to secondary markets or do what 98% of the other 1Ls do and apply for government, judicial, or public interest internships so you will have a back up.  Be cautious about judicial internships though, because they are time sensitive and once you accept you cannot turn one down, or at least you shouldnt. 

I'd have to respectfully disagree, I'm in the process of calling them all now. Also i'm a 2L not a 1L. So this is the time to call and see what i can find. Thanks for the input though.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 02:34:29 PM »
yea, I thought you were a 1L.  Since you are a 2L, I dont blame you for calling. is mad late in the game, Im surprised you didnt hear back yet.  It cant hurt to call anyway though.  Good luck.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 02:50:22 PM »
You can "respectfully disagree" all you want, but this late in the game as a 2L you aren't going to get an offer.  I'm sure I'll catch some flack for this post but oh well.  Many students at top schools don't get firm offers let alone those at tier 2 or tier 3 schools.  Keep applying to secondary markets and smaller firms and government at this point.  Do whatever you have to do to get work SOMEWHERE.

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 04:44:02 PM »
You can "respectfully disagree" all you want, but this late in the game as a 2L you aren't going to get an offer.  I'm sure I'll catch some flack for this post but oh well.  Many students at top schools don't get firm offers let alone those at tier 2 or tier 3 schools.  Keep applying to secondary markets and smaller firms and government at this point.  Do whatever you have to do to get work SOMEWHERE.

I'm giving you flack.  ;)

But you're right. To the OP: Call the firms up if you want, but your time will be best spent on applying to new firms. You've got to get a job. At this point, you may also want to consider doing an externship at the PD's or DA's office over the summer. Its experience, but its not paid experience.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 05:42:24 PM »
I think I need to get to vegas.... Budlaw is agreeing with me ;).

Don't give up OP, just focus on getting SOMETHING at this point.  You do not want to enter 3L OCI with no experience.

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 06:03:52 PM »
I think I need to get to vegas.... Budlaw is agreeing with me ;).

Don't give up OP, just focus on getting SOMETHING at this point.  You do not want to enter 3L OCI with no experience.

Yea thanks all!! I called a lot of big firms today, a couple said they were soooo sorry for not sending me a letter sooner blah blah blah. BUT a couple asked for my resume and stuff again which is pretty cool. Another said he was waiting on another hire and asked me to resend a writing sample. One asked for an updated transcript when grades come out in a couple of weeks. So better than expected, I realize I have to keep trying. I did have an interview with the DA's office for a Paid internship.. not great pay, but still great litigation experience, plus i'm calling a judge who is a friend of the family. I realize that I just have to keep trucking along and hope for the best. My advice to anyone out there who hasn't secured employment for the summer is keep trying, it can't hurt anymore to call and bother the firms a bit and show them how dedicated you are. Thanks for the advice everyone. Happy New Year :)