Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Baltimore  (Read 1271 times)

Barbie22

• View Profile
University of Baltimore
« on: January 03, 2008, 01:09:34 AM »
I am curious as to whether anyone can provide information on what is needed for a full scholarship to UB.  I was previously a 1L at a tier 2 school but had to withdraw mid year due to some family issues and related financial problems.  I can go back to my original school, but at a considerable financial cost.  I would love to finish my legal studies, but due to my circumstances, I can't afford to move back away for school (from the DC/MD area, have md residency).  I dont care about "big firms" - i just want to be able to practice.  So, does anyone have a full scholarship from UB?  If so, what were your stats?  Thanks for the help.

Average1L

• View Profile
Re: University of Baltimore
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 05:01:48 AM »
LSAT: 158
LSDAS GPA: 3.82
Gradaute degree
Good letters of recommendation and good ECs

http://law.ubalt.edu/template.cfm?page=829 for entering new full-time students

I was told that a LSAT of 163+ is a virtual lock for a full tuition scholarship when I applied for Fall '07. I am assuming your GPA isn't ridiculously low.  We got a new dean this past year, and I believe the amount of scholarship money available increased. It may now be a little easier to get a scholarship.

Good Luck

Waiting for Those Letters

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cardozo Class of 2011
    • View Profile
    • LSN!!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 03:39:26 PM »
I actually got a full scholarship from them today.
LSAT: 157
GPA: 3.92

Barbie22

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 10:39:56 PM »
can you provide more details?  Are you a traditional (from ug) student?  Anything spectacular in terms of soft factors/extra curricular?  Are you in state?  Are you a urm?  Thanks for the info.

Barbie22

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 10:55:03 PM »
LSAT: 158
LSDAS GPA: 3.82
Gradaute degree
Good letters of recommendation and good ECs

http://law.ubalt.edu/template.cfm?page=829 for entering new full-time students

I was told that a LSAT of 163+ is a virtual lock for a full tuition scholarship when I applied for Fall '07. I am assuming your GPA isn't ridiculously low.  We got a new dean this past year, and I believe the amount of scholarship money available increased. It may now be a little easier to get a scholarship.

Good Luck

I saw that chart, but it isn't very clear.  Does it mean that those are the minimum stats to be considered for a scholarship for any kind - full or partial?  Or does it mean that those with those stats will automatically be offered a scholarship (full/partial)?

Average1L

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 11:50:41 PM »
I don't think the numbers are set in stone.  A person with a very high GPA of 4.0+ could probably get a full ride with a 156 and vice versa.

You need to call UB and ask about your specific status since you are in a unique position due to your withdrawal.  You appear to have a compelling financial/family reason to want to attend UB.  Emphasize this in your app.  Mark Bell Assistant Director of Admissions Office of Academic
Affairs - LC 103 (410) 837-4464 should be able to answer any specific questions.

Waiting for Those Letters

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cardozo Class of 2011
    • View Profile
    • LSN!!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 01:30:37 AM »
can you provide more details?  Are you a traditional (from ug) student?  Anything spectacular in terms of soft factors/extra curricular?  Are you in state?  Are you a urm?  Thanks for the info.

Sure. I majored in Sociology and minored in Biology. I guess some soft factors include graduating high school and college in 3 yrs each. I have done some volunteering at some non-profit organizations and my job throughout the years has been tutoring. I am out of state (Cali) and graduated from a state school. I am not a URM. I identified myself as Middle-Eastern on the app, since I am Iranian. But, I don't think that particular fact would make a difference.

Hope that helps.