Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Late disclosure to law school and character and fitness  (Read 2027 times)

rhesusman

• View Profile
Late disclosure to law school and character and fitness
« on: January 02, 2008, 02:27:49 PM »
I posted this on another board, but I think it may have been the wrong one.  My question is how big of a problem is it for character and fitness purposes if you make a late disclosure to your law school.  I forgot about a minor traffic ticket I got when I was fifteen years old when I was applying to law school.  I've since discovered the mistake and told the law school.  They don't care - in fact, they said that I wasn't required to take any action with regards to this.  I spoke to the dean about it anyway and my communication with her about it is in my file.  My question is whether it will be a serious problem for the character and fitness committee that I didn't disclose it on my initial application.

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Late disclosure to law school and character and fitness
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 02:44:12 PM »
I posted this on another board, but I think it may have been the wrong one.  My question is how big of a problem is it for character and fitness purposes if you make a late disclosure to your law school.  I forgot about a minor traffic ticket I got when I was fifteen years old when I was applying to law school.  I've since discovered the mistake and told the law school.  They don't care - in fact, they said that I wasn't required to take any action with regards to this.  I spoke to the dean about it anyway and my communication with her about it is in my file.  My question is whether it will be a serious problem for the character and fitness committee that I didn't disclose it on my initial application.

Doubtful. You were 15, and you forgot about it. No big deal. Its not like you killed someone.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 02:58:30 PM »
If your law school doesn't care about it, and they didn't even want to know about, then you never had to disclose it, period.  Because you never had to disclose it, there's no issue whatsoever.

McLovin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 03:15:58 PM »
You really think a minor traffic ticket when you were 15 would be a huge problem?  Honestly? 

rhesusman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 05:03:17 PM »
It's not the traffic ticket that I worry will be a problem, it's the fact that I forgot to put in on the application.  The application was very general in its language and, unlike a lot of other applications, doesn't specifically list an exception for minor speeding tickets, so someone looking only at my application could reasonably think that I was supposed to disclose it.  I'm more worried that they'll think I was negligent or something and that I should have researched my personal history better.  Personally, I don't think this is a big deal, but I worry that someone at the character and fitness committee who doesn't have enough to do will interpret it in the most negative light possible because I didn't put it on my original application form, even though the school knows about it now.  Minnesota's the state in question, if that makes a difference.

Also, I got fired from a job when I was in college.  I didn't do anything fraudulent or dishonest and was never accused of doing anything of the sort (I think that it was because I didn't prep the food and clean fast enough), but I have a feeling the guy just didn't like me.  Are they going to call the guy and let him rant that I wasn't a good employee?

Eva Destruction

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 12:28:14 PM »
I think you're right to worry more about the fact that you forgot to disclose it, rather than the nature and circumstances of the offense.  Fitness committees will forgive a lot, but they don't seem to forgive a lack of candor.  But really, the school wrote the application. And if they said it wasn't required, then I think you're ok.

And, even if you WERE required to disclose it, you DID.  If they do call you in to talk about it, then you should be able to explain that it was a mistake and that you corrected it on your own, without being confronted about it.  I doubt that you'd have much trouble showing that you were on the up-and-up here.

Relax, I think you've got nothing to worry about.

Hermione Granger is a gunner.