Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Returning to law school after withdrawing  (Read 3659 times)

jdlapt

• View Profile
Returning to law school after withdrawing
« on: January 01, 2008, 09:32:31 PM »
I have a question for anyone who has any experience with, or knowledge of, getting admitted to a law school after having withdrawn from one. I attended a small, private law school in 2004 and withdrew prior to the end of the semester. My reasons for leaving were several, and I will spare everyone the details by simply saying that they are no longer relevant.

My question is this: How do I best overcome any doubts of my commitment that a admissions committee may have? Additionally, would it behoove me to take the LSAT again, if only for more recent scores?

Any input will be appreciated.

Bob Loblaw Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Returning to law school after withdrawing
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 11:28:19 AM »
first of all, schools will want to know if you left your prior school in good academic standing, you can get a letter verifying this from your old registrar.  i would just add an addendum in you apps stating you compelling interest to withdraw.  i would not retake the lsat unless 1) you are not satisfied with you score, or 2)your score is no longer valid (5 yrs i think?)

fwiw, i withdrew in my first semester.  i did no have a problem reentering thr next year, nor did this issue come up when i transferred or obtained 2l summer work.  also, i had a pretty compelling interest to withdraw.

pat2121

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 12:21:22 PM »
did grades stick / carry over?

Did you withdraw from the same school you returned to?

Bob Loblaw Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 04:24:05 PM »
i dont know if that q was for the op or me. 

i withdrew during my first semester, so no grades, just W's for withdrawing. I returned to the school that i withdrew from and later transfered

TheBigEasy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 05:07:28 PM »
what if you withdraw after you complete a semester and did poorly  how does that work? say you withdraw in the spring.  can you reapply to a new school in the fall to start over?

reggiebush

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 11:50:29 PM »
what if you withdraw after you complete a semester and did poorly  how does that work? say you withdraw in the spring.  can you reapply to a new school in the fall to start over?

I also have this question. My grades are below a 2.0, and I can still get the loan money refunded if I withdraw by the end of the first week. (This week) :D

Can anyone answer this question?

TheNewGuy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 03:14:11 PM »
first of all, schools will want to know if you left your prior school in good academic standing, you can get a letter verifying this from your old registrar.  i would just add an addendum in you apps stating you compelling interest to withdraw.  i would not retake the lsat unless 1) you are not satisfied with you score, or 2)your score is no longer valid (5 yrs i think?)

fwiw, i withdrew in my first semester.  i did no have a problem reentering thr next year, nor did this issue come up when i transferred or obtained 2l summer work.  also, i had a pretty compelling interest to withdraw.

I'm wondering if you can withdraw after taking finals, before the 1st semester actually ends?

I've only gotten 2 grades back, and nothing totally devastating yet... but I think I messed up a couple exams pretty badly.

I think I understood the material fairly better than my test-taking demonstrated.  Also, I think I just had the wrong approach to start off with (e.g. worrying so much about grades / class rank well before they were relevant concerns and letting that mentality alter my studying).

I still want to practice law.  I wish I could just re-do the semester. I would phase out the hype and treat it like anything else I'm genuinely dedicated to.

Would a school allow someone in my position a clean slate?