Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Minnesota Character & Fitness  (Read 5469 times)

rhesusman

• View Profile
Minnesota Character & Fitness
« on: December 31, 2007, 11:21:14 PM »
I'll be taking the Minnesota bar and I had a question about the Minnesota Character and Fitness Examination.

I got a traffic ticket when I was fifteen years old.  It was so long ago that I'd forgotten about it when I applied to law school seven years later.  I've never gotten in any other trouble with the law.  The school's application didn't say anything either way about traffic tickets.  I realized the summer before starting law school that I'd forgotten to put it on my application.  I called the school and they basically told me that they didn't give a crap about minor traffic tickets like that (it'd be nice if the application said so).  They said that if I wanted, I could send in a letter disclosing it, but that I didn't have to.  I sent the letter anyway, but I don't think they've kept it because I haven't been able to get ahold of it when I've requested it.  I spoke with the dean of my law school during the 2L job search and asked about it.  While she didn't confirm that the law school got my letter, she did confirm that it wasn't an issue the admissions office cared about and that I wasn't in any trouble as far as the school was concerned.  She also said that she'd keep my communication with her if the bar examiners requested it.  While the school clearly doesn't care about this, I'm worried that some busybody at the C&F committee in Minnesota will.  I'm worried they'd think that this shows that I was negligent in forgetting about that they won't believe that I informed the law school as soon as I noticed the mistake if they haven't kept record of the disclosure.  Does anyone have an idea as to how they'll react to this?  Basically, are they going to go out of their way to see this in the worst possible light or will they understand that it was an honest mistake that I tried to correct?

The only other point I worry about is that I got fired from a job in college once.  I didn't do anything fraudulent or dishonest; I just think that my employer didn't like me or thought I wasn't very good at cleaning/food prep.  How big of a deal would this be?  Are they actually going to call the guy up and let him rant that he didn't like me?

craven

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Minnesota Character & Fitness
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 11:14:16 PM »
Getting fired shouldn't matter a bit.

Nothing else you've mentioned should be an issue either.  Granted, I'm shooting from the hip a little bit here, but from what I gather they're most worried about either a major instance of fraud or a history of illegal behavior.  You should be fine.

mqt

• Sr. Citizen
  • cellar door
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 12:29:44 AM »
Getting fired shouldn't matter a bit.

Nothing else you've mentioned should be an issue either.  Granted, I'm shooting from the hip a little bit here, but from what I gather they're most worried about either a major instance of fraud or a history of illegal behavior.  You should be fine.

if the C&F questionnaire asks about being fired, you'd have to explain it.  "have you ever been terminated, asked to leave, etc, from any job."  It's on many states' C&F applications.  But just explain it.  And if the LS application didn't ask for traffic tickets, but the C&F does, then it seems to me that you are fine by not disclosing them on the LS application.  Just make sure they are on the C&F application.  You'll be fine. 

Orbits

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 08:56:58 PM »
geez...are the C&F people really that strict?

rhesusman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 01:09:01 AM »
I guess I worried for nothing.  I got the "you're admitted" letter a few days ago without a hitch.  No request for additional info, no interviews with the committee, no communication on any character and fitness issues at all.  I basically revealed everything I mentioned in the post and, as far as I can tell, it didn't matter.