Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Non-Bar Law Degree  (Read 28518 times)

cooleylawstudent

Re: Non-Bar Law Degree
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2010, 06:19:20 PM »
Taft (and others) are online Nationally accredited lawschools
and AVE Maria which is ABA is only national, so factor that in.

If you want Regional accrediting Kaplan has an online lawschool that is Cal apporved and they are regional.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2010, 08:19:12 PM »

That's a bit misleading. Taft is not ABA approved and will not enable you to take the bar outside of California. It is only "nationally accredited" by the Distance Education and Training Council.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2010, 11:06:28 PM »
No duh, this whole section is on "Non-Bar law degree" I was pointing out that some are accredited and even nationally/regionally. You'll note that I mentioned the Cal bar in reference to Kaplan which is regionally accredited, taft being only nationally. (nationally accredited being lower than regional)

Thats why I mentioned how Ave Maria is ABA and only national too(to show that regional/national isnt always a reflection of ABA status)

Not sure how that makes it misleading. We're all Grad students here for pete's sake. I think we're smart enough to know the difference between ABA and DETC.

That's a bit misleading. Taft is not ABA approved and will not enable you to take the bar outside of California. It is only "nationally accredited" by the Distance Education and Training Council.

FiloSofik

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2010, 07:36:20 PM »
Interesting debate.  For what its worth, I'll share my experience.

I've been a paralegal for 15 years and graduated at the top of my class.  I worked at the top law firm in my state alongside Harvard, Columbia and several other top tier law graduates.  I specialized in securities;litigation; corporate and dabbled in just about every other field of law you can imagine.

I'm nearing middle age and the last three job moves I've made were due to layoffs from aba-approved educated lawyers who mishandled their case load and lost major clients.  The bloodletting always starts with the paralegals first.  The most recent experience was especially frustrating because I literally tried everything I could to save the practice.  Drafted memorandums he didn't know how to draft; spotted issues to alert him to act and researched law.  He was a nice guy; generous to boot but no amount of law school was going to help him be a good lawyer and what can I say; "we all rise to the level of our own incompetence".  He lost it all and we were let go.  Believe me, he was not the only attorney whose butt I saved many times over.  But I did want and needed that job to last.

I am now working for arguably one of the best AV rated attorneys in the state and region for that matter.  Seriously, he is in our legal ed books in paralegal school.  On my second day on the job I turned in a writing assignment to him and he told me, "You're already a top-notch lawyer, if you can do this, work part-time and go to law school.  I need you on my litigating team."  Did I mention I'm nearing middle-age; supporting one kid in college and about to send another?  I have a hubbie who is saving furiously for retirement despite my using the funds for our kids; a small business that failed with the economy and other family emergency bail-outs.  You can guess where this is going.  So, I'll wrap it up quick and say this.  If you are going to law school to get a job--get an aba approved degree. 
You'll need it because reality bites and you'll have to compete.  Having my certificate in paralegal studies and graduating top of my class definitely helps me get the job offers especially in the current economic climate. 
If you are committed to the practice of law because a lawyer is who you are--then it doesn't really matter.  Be assured you will also find your destiny and do well. 
As for me, I'm already where I want to be and although there are no guarantees; I plan to attend Northwestern California correspondence law school.  I've already got top law firm experience and my supervising attorney is willing to proctor me and use me in the firm.  If it doesn't work out with him--I'd be happy to move to CA and hang out my own shingle.

jacktrader38

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2010, 09:26:12 PM »
well put... I go to NWCU and have found it to be an enriching experience. If you ever have any questions let me know.

Good luck.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2010, 12:29:04 AM »
Best of luck to you all.

susanblaw

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Non-Bar Law Degree----help needed ASAP
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2012, 10:14:38 AM »
Good morning!

I graduated from a non aba school in KY. Does anyone know of any states that will allow me to take the bar exam in their state? i called CA and they said that the school had to be from their own state.

If anyone can help me that would be great. Please respond. My biggest fear is that all that money went to waste. I would go to any state and take their exam.

Please help me!

jjensen

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2012, 05:25:58 AM »
I am looking at a non ABA Law School.  Actually I am comparing a few schools and am considering the professors educaiton as well as how the course is ran.

I already know what I am going to do, so Im not worried about getting hired or leaving CA.

Currently I work for a Real Estate Attorney in CA as a legal assistant, not one of my clients ask me about my education or my attorneys education.

What they want to know if can i do what they are retaining me to do. 

I have heard that a lot of law schools do not teach pleading practice which to me doesnt make sense.  I guess a ton of briefing and going over cases but the thing I like about the law school I am considering is they teach you how to do a complaint, motions etc...

To me, your complaint  or lack therof is one reason why a case gets dismissed. 

The fact that this school is considerably less expensive than a traditional law school means I wont need to charge my clients $350 per hour.

For specific reasons non aba law schools can be an excellent choice..

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2012, 08:34:52 AM »
I agree in California, the law school won't make any difference if you have a post bar exam plan.  Real clients could care less about the attorney's education, they only want the job done economically.

nonabastudent

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2012, 02:49:48 PM »
are there any states that allow non aba non state approved students to sit for the bar exam?

please help! we just need 1 state