Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: SMU part time scholarships?  (Read 11385 times)

dogoodwithyourJD

• View Profile
SMU part time scholarships?
« on: December 30, 2007, 04:47:10 AM »
Does anyone know whether SMU offers scholarships to part-time law students and, if so, the average amount that's granted?

Thanks!

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: SMU part time scholarships?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 09:50:32 AM »
doubt it, dont know for sure, but schools have no incentive to give scholarship money to part time students.  Part time students do very little for the school wrt usnews so schools typically do not give out any money.  call the financial aid office to be sure though.

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 09:13:30 AM »
I know several students in the SMU Part time program and none of them have scholarships.  I don't think that any scholarships are given to part time students, especially with the evening program in full swing.  There are a few evening program scholarships, but in terms of part time day program don't expect much, if anything.
smujd2007 is now an Attorney at Law!

gavinlarson

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 11:44:04 AM »
They do indeed offer scholarships to part-time students. If you check out the ABA Official Guide thing on the LSAC web site, it says that 14.7% of part-time students receive scholarships, and all of them are less than half-tuition.

meestameesta

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 12:43:53 PM »
I know people in the part-time program with partial scholarships.  A good friend got about $5k/yr ($20k total) without stellar numbers.  It is not alot but it is something.  I do know of others with scholarship but do not know the amounts.  It does seem fairly easy to keep the scholarship once you get it, the grade requirements are fairly low for keeping it.
yeehaw Dallas

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 09:41:37 PM »
The grade requirements for keeping most scholarships at SMU is a 2.0.  That's a C average.  If you can't keep a C average you probably don't need to be in law school.

$5000 a year at SMU really is nothing, especially for a part time student.  To me, a scholarship is practically worthless until you approach a third of tuition. I say that because school is so expensive that you will probably end up spending that $5K on something else school related anyway.   
smujd2007 is now an Attorney at Law!

iahurricane

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 05:18:46 PM »
I got a 10k/yr scholarship