Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Interviews  (Read 1912 times)

KC#11

• View Profile
Interviews
« on: December 29, 2007, 06:46:07 PM »
I've gotten quite a few interviews with federal judges and even some firms. I'm curious to hear from those who have been through the 1L job search before about how many interviews turn into offer. Obviously there's no hard and fast rule, but I'm curious about how liberal judges/firms are with interviews and what I should expect (if anything) to come of all this.
Potential is just a word for something you haven't done yet.

Alamo79

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Interviews
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 10:24:03 AM »
I only had two mid/large firm callback interviews, and almost all of my interviewers told me not to be discouraged if I didn't get an offer, that it's much easier to get an offer as a 2L.  I'd give you the same advice--cast your net wide and keep your chin up.  Also, everyone I know who has worked for a federal judge over the summer has said that it's great experience, if you can afford the lack of income for a summer.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 11:52:55 AM »
I've gotten quite a few interviews with federal judges and even some firms. I'm curious to hear from those who have been through the 1L job search before about how many interviews turn into offer. Obviously there's no hard and fast rule, but I'm curious about how liberal judges/firms are with interviews and what I should expect (if anything) to come of all this.

I went the government route my first summer, but had a lot of friends do the firm interview thing with mixed results.  The IP guys got offers from most of their interviews their 1L year.  The litigation, etc, people had very little luck from interviews.  It seems like most firms interviewed them just for the sake of interviewing them.  It was as if they were really trying to just get the firm name out there and drum up interest from that student and others for second year oci.  My friends had better results in secondary markets, but it still seems like most people are interviewed without any intention of hiring.

one large firm probably interviewed 60-80 1Ls and hired maybe two or three at best it seemed like.

intel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 10:17:41 PM »

what is your secret for getting the interviews with the fed. judges?

vaplaugh

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 11:39:59 PM »
I'm curious to hear from those who have been through the 1L job search before about how many interviews turn into offer.

Depending on the district, my guess is that the judges will make offers.  Getting the interview is the hardest part.  I did 4 interviews with judges and had 4 offers (2 USDC, 2 state appellate).  The federal judges were not in major cities.  I canceled several interviews in major cities.  Those judges had requested grades be sent when released, so I'm guessing they are more difficult to land.  I had no firm interviews.

Best of luck.  How did they go (when they're done)?

KC#11

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 01:10:22 AM »
I'm curious to hear from those who have been through the 1L job search before about how many interviews turn into offer.

Depending on the district, my guess is that the judges will make offers.  Getting the interview is the hardest part.  I did 4 interviews with judges and had 4 offers (2 USDC, 2 state appellate).  The federal judges were not in major cities.  I canceled several interviews in major cities.  Those judges had requested grades be sent when released, so I'm guessing they are more difficult to land.  I had no firm interviews.

Best of luck.  How did they go (when they're done)?

Done 4 so far. Two in (different) major cities, two in a small city (one COA in this city).

Out of the two major city interviews, I'm 1/2 as I haven't heard back from the other one yet.

Out of the small city interviews, I'm also 1/2 as I haven't heard back from the other one yet.

I'm not taking on any more interviews, and will let the chips fall as they may.
Potential is just a word for something you haven't done yet.