Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Summer Judicial Internships?  (Read 4287 times)

craven

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Judicial Internships?
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 12:54:08 AM »
Resume-bomb local judges.  I wouldn't spend too much time on the federal judges, since they often have full-time clerks.  If you can get a gig with a fed judge though, so much the better.

vaplaugh

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 11:26:18 AM »
Resume-bomb local judges.  I wouldn't spend too much time on the federal judges, since they often have full-time clerks.  If you can get a gig with a fed judge though, so much the better.

Definitely send unsolicited resumes to federal judges.  Most of them hire interns, but sometimes not on a regular basis in less sought after locations.  I sent about 40-50 letters to USDC judges and received 5 interviews.  (tier 2 school, no grades).

DelDad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 10:11:14 AM »
I sent out about 20 letters/resumes/sample memos, without not knowing my grades yet.

I have two interviews (one state one fed) coming up, without much idea what to expect - any advice on how to prepare?

I've stated trying to read some decisions by each judge, but isolating the "important ones" is proving difficult.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 10:21:35 AM »
I've stated trying to read some decisions by each judge, but isolating the "important ones" is proving difficult.

Try doing a google search on the opinions, or else google the judge's name.  If the case made a big impact on state law, it will have been noted in the news (legal news, at least).  For the fed judge, you should shepardize and google search.  Look for opinions on cases that may have made it to the supreme court, and then search some of the legal blog and news sites for mentions of the case and the impact (although, obviously, you don't want to bring up cases that were reversed on appeal)

DelDad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 10:48:34 AM »
Thanks, Jacy85.

Any other tips for how to prepare for the interviews?

vaplaugh

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2008, 12:23:20 PM »
Thanks, Jacy85.

Any other tips for how to prepare for the interviews?

I don't think you need to do a whole lot of research about the judge's past opinions.  I'd say only do this if you have an interest in the type of case and can comment on the subject matter.  The judge's recent opinions will not come up unless you bring it up, and you should have good context for bringing up an old opinion.  I researched the judges' opinions, read a few, but never brought them up in the interviews.  All the judges made offers.

Do a little bit of research on the judge's bio to see if anything sparks your interest.  This would be a basic start for the federal judge if the court website is not helpful: http://www.fjc.gov/public/home.nsf/hisj.

My advice would be the same for any interview: be yourself, be calm, be positive, and prepare a few questions for both the judge and his/her clerks or staff attorneys.  Take some time to think about what you like best about law school and the profession.  Make sure you have a good answer for what you hope to accomplish with your law degree.  Bring a copy of your resume and a list of professional references (if not already on your resume).

Remember: getting the interview is often the hardest part.  You've already got your foot in the door - they like your credentials.  Now you just have to make sure they like you, too.  (And of course, make sure you like them, too!).

DelDad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2008, 01:18:07 PM »
Very helpful, vap, thank you.