Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cold offers  (Read 6085 times)

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Cold offers
« on: December 28, 2007, 03:45:24 PM »
Hey, so I didnt know enough about the concept going in to OCI, and now that I have an SA I am slightly worried that I didnt ask more questions about cold offers.  So, I figured I would ask yall.

Two questions.

1) anyone know what it takes to get a cold offer?  Ive been told its nearly impossible to get a no offer, but these seem to be more prevalent.

2) anyone know a resource for determining how many cold offers are given?  Nalp doesnt address this from what I have seen.

Thanks guys.

JoeMayo

• View Profile
Re: Cold offers
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 04:26:11 PM »
Hey, so I didnt know enough about the concept going in to OCI, and now that I have an SA I am slightly worried that I didnt ask more questions about cold offers.  So, I figured I would ask yall.

Two questions.

1) anyone know what it takes to get a cold offer?  Ive been told its nearly impossible to get a no offer, but these seem to be more prevalent.

2) anyone know a resource for determining how many cold offers are given?  Nalp doesnt address this from what I have seen.

Thanks guys.

1. I don't think it's common by any means.
2. The whole idea of the cold offer is that it can't really be tracked.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 05:18:04 PM »
:( thats what I thought.  Its such a sketchy process.

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 07:10:56 PM »

Ok, so maybe I'm out of the loop, but what is a "cold offer?" Is it the same thing as not getting an offer?

vaplaugh

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 08:08:35 PM »

Ok, so maybe I'm out of the loop, but what is a "cold offer?" Is it the same thing as not getting an offer?

Seconded.  I've heard this term before but have no idea what it means.

eli250

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 08:39:44 PM »
Isn't that when the firm officially gives someone an offer with the understanding that the offer will be declined so that both can "save face."  I wonder how the firm goes about doing this?   

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 10:55:01 PM »
Isn't that when the firm officially gives someone an offer with the understanding that the offer will be declined so that both can "save face."  I wonder how the firm goes about doing this?   

yes, thats basically it.  It makes it easier for the summer to go through oci again cause they dont have to say they were no-offered and it makes it better for the firm on nalp. 

anyway, i think that you have like an end of the summer meeting with the hiring committee and they basically tell ya *&^% didnt work out.  Im not sure on the specifics though and hopefully will never know.

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 05:02:17 PM »

yes, thats basically it.  It makes it easier for the summer to go through oci again cause they dont have to say they were no-offered and it makes it better for the firm on nalp. 

anyway, i think that you have like an end of the summer meeting with the hiring committee and they basically tell ya *&^% didnt work out.  Im not sure on the specifics though and hopefully will never know.

Gotcha. That is shady as hell.

SJ228

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 05:04:17 PM »
How long after the summer do firms give offers? I know my schools does resume drops in mid-Aug. Do most people apply with the worry that they will be no-offered?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 05:42:33 PM »
Firms differ on when they give offers, and even one firm may differ year to year.  I got my offer one week after the summer program ended.  I was 99% sure of an offer at my firm, but less sure I'd get the practice group I wanted, so I dropped resumes of fall OCI.  When I got my offer for my first choice practice group, I simply declined my interviews once they were offered (we accept/decline interview offers on Simplicity for our OCI).