Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Teaching with a law degree?  (Read 803 times)

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Teaching with a law degree?
« on: December 27, 2007, 10:33:26 AM »
I am curious if anyone knows anything of teaching (being an undergrad professor, as opposed to a law professor) with a law degree?  I never realized it was even an option until I heard of a few people who are doing so (but I don't know them directly, or I would ask them!)  Is this something that is mostly for older, semi-retired lawyers or what?

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Teaching with a law degree?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 10:41:23 AM »
I plan to teach undergrad with my law degree.  Not sure the specifics, but my plan is to pick up a night class or two while I practice for my firm.  When I get older, my plan is to teach full time and switch to an of counsel position or whatever they call part time (this is going to be probably 15-20 years down the line).

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 11:17:36 AM »
Community and technical colleges always need JDs to teach paralegal classes. I know someone who did this right out of law school. Sounds like fun to me.

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 11:45:40 AM »
Community and technical colleges always need JDs to teach paralegal classes. I know someone who did this right out of law school. Sounds like fun to me.

Yeah, I agree ... I'd never thought of it before.  May not pay as well as "ooooh BIGLAW" ... but you're also probably working 15 hours a week and getting vacations :-D

vaplaugh

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 12:54:33 PM »
my undergrad political science department had 3 profs with jds, teaching classes like judicial process, supreme court, con law, etc.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 02:24:36 PM »
my undergrad political science department had 3 profs with jds, teaching classes like judicial process, supreme court, con law, etc.

seems to be the norm...

anyone know what you really need to do to get into one of these positions?  I assume its easy to get one, or at least easier if you go T14 or want to teach at your former undergrad, but beyond that it would be nice if someone had some concrete info on what is needed.